Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Working in a dealership when gas was in a crankcase from flooding ,it would set of a rich code ,even though flooding cause was corrected. One way I found to determine oil in gas with computer test was to vent the pcv valve to atmosphere and would give a pass code running. We then changed oil and filter and when drained it came out like water and even had the fuel smell,just too thin. We would never let a car go out like that taking a chance of ruining engine bearings.

Junky

Well Known Member
Take a lighter to the oil on the dipstick, if it burns easy then you have gas in the oil.

Gasoline will burn easily if you put a match to it, motor oil, will not. If the concentration of gasoline is high enough in the oil, you might be able to ignite it, but it usually will not sustain the flame. Only when you put it onto another flammable solid, like wood or cloth, will you be able to sustain the flame. Don't dispose of it to anyone that has a waste oil burner, since the gasoline in the oil will cause the flame in the burner to burn too hot, and could damage the waste oil burner. If you dispose of it at the auto parts store, it could contaminate their entire waste oil supply, and cost the store a lot of money to dispose of it. Just burn it up on a brush pile next winter when there is snow on the ground.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
At the Chevy store where I worked we had a car towed in, 348 3x2’s.
So much fuel had leaked into the oil that the explosion that ensued mushroomed the oil pan, both valve covers and get this, blew the center carb up, not off, but somehow split the carb top.

Personally, I would not mess with it, fix the problem and change the oil, cheap insurance.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey hey!! Did as y'all said and had our first break in the rain for weeks.. Everything seemed to go well till we stop. At idle, she the heat just keeps creeing up and have to stop... Nearly pooped my pants watching her climb to 210 before we got through the last light and on the highway. Once there shall drop and seems to love 170...

Didn't capture that on this one, also not the best at videos yet, but if you wanna ride with me and jeanne here out first of many...

Attachments

• 20190515_192228.jpg
    20190515_192228.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 13

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey hey hey hey boys!!!

So we had a great last week with Betsy!! Cleaned her up and took Cameron to the prom with his date in it! On the way, word got out so we even picked up more on the way and was a little like a clown car by the time we got to the school, all full!!!

We all felt like rockstars, pulling into the school, there were at least 300 people that all surrounded the very fancy drop off point. Parents, kids, just gawkers all surrounding drop spot... The way it worked, you pull in, a line was formed and slowly make your way to the "Red Carpet". Cars, limo's inched there way forward and kids felt like stars... After 20 min or so making our way up, people had their cameras out video taping us, ha!

Now on the inside, i was on full pucker!!! Betsy with the new MSD ignition, intake, doesnt like to idle long as the temp will go up forever. I was watching the guage make its way up past 190, 195, 200, 205, 210 and did the "shut off" and wait till the cars pulled forward, start pull up, shut down method. It actually made things worse as the heat soak added temp, but we seemed natural because people were so close to you that the exhaust at idle was causing peoples pant legs to flutter.

Now, were on to the new project, fix the cooling system with electric fans and a Davis controller!!

Over the last few days i worked with Griffin and measured and ordered the new 2x fan shroud, and received in the relay kit... Trying to tape the install so if anyone else goes this route they can learn from our install..

(Yes, before we did this we flushed the system, swapped the thermostat but no help. We have a fan clutch, tried to idle high like 1500 to pull air and again no difference)

Also, been out again with jeanne and taped our ride. If you want to come along, jump in! You have to love the overdrive switch!!! Ill fix the audio on the next trip, little windy but have a new mic-sock. Glad we did tape it, the engine cut out at min 21:30 !! You can hear it complete shut off and on a bunch of times for about 30 seconds, then it went away... Not sure if it was an air-lock, or electrical drop, but cant find out why....

Attachments

• 20190518_174542.jpg
    20190518_174542.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 13