Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks guys, we'll be working on the next rainy day because we've been FISHIN!!!

Avery and I went out and nailed a near state record (actually, not even close but give it time, ha)... He fought it for nearly 2 hours (really 30 seconds) and pulled us around the lake (actually, i nearly tangled us trying to look but it was over faster than it started).....

We did came across this really neat natural spring in the middle of the lake and didnt dare ride over it, thinking it would act like a vortex and suck us in, hahahaha.. You can see it in the video.

Anyone else have a fishin story???

20190531_123836.jpg20190531_115700.jpg

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Quick update....

On the truck and the hydroboost, were waiting on a reducer to take a 9/16 x 18 into 3/8 x 24... The proportioning valve's between CPP and Wilwood are a bit different. CPP has the two inputs for your fronts, but the back two are serviced by the larger fitting so chasing a reducer.. If that was the only project, i'd cut off the line and re-flare but have a story about Betsy...

Been chasing the heating issue with Betsy and even after the dual fan upgrade, she can keep creeping up to the 210 where my pucker factor makes the trips less fun... On the open road and driving, its not bad in the beginning would run 180-200, similar to the past. But whats new this year is shes not cooling as fast in open air. She used to instantly cool when , but its just not the same, it takes a long downhill without peddle to make a big difference.

I gave Don a call and we used a temp gun to hit all around the radiator just after shut down. The readings were not consistent and here were spots that read 180, and others 135. I had noticed that i had some gunk under the cap gasket, but nothing substantial so we decided to try a flush thinking we may have a clog... I let her cool and did a drain, then added water and a prestone flush adder and ran it for a bit. Check out the pics!!!!

Pieces of rust and all sorts of stuff! I started to worry about electrolosys and did a test with a multi-meter whereby i put my ground directly to ground on the battery, and the lead in the water but not touching the radiator and she slowly climbs to about 0.15v. Dont know if thats ok considering i have just the 16oz flush kit and water in there now...

On my way now to walmart to get Thermocure, which has a lot of good reviews on rust removal/flushing. Also going to put a screen into the top part of the radiator and try to catch everything over a few flushes.... Any other ideas?

20190612_073416.jpg20190610_170851.jpg20190610_170833.jpg

Attachments

• 20190610_170844.jpg
    20190610_170844.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 5

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Aluminum "scale".That radiator is restricted.I don't know of any thing that short of taking the radiator apart and "rodding it out" that will fix that .He has one of those expensive Griffen aluminum radiators in there,so good luck with that.Isn't there a more budget radiator[with the notch for aftermarket p/s] out there,such as a Champion?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Aluminum "scale".That radiator is restricted.I don't know of any thing that short of taking the radiator apart and "rodding it out" that will fix that .He has one of those expensive Griffen aluminum radiators in there,so good luck with that.Isn't there a more budget radiator[with the notch for aftermarket p/s] out there,such as a Champion?
Auto City Classics has nice aluminum radiators and good prices. They also sell one with the notch, but just checked their site and it's out of stock.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Where did all that trash come from?

Im thinking me.. Totally a guess here but before we started using only the 50/50, i would use the concentrate and mix with water. We live here in NH and theres a ton of minerals in the water and on a well, so my guess thats what did it.. Also totally a guess, that when i put in the flush stuff, thats when the dam burst and all the particles broke free?

Jeanne has me fixing the dryer now, but will flush and post how im making out.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yesterday i was able to hit Walmart and picked up enough supplies for 2 full flushes, 2x thermocure and 6gal distilled water (thanks phil!)...

Before i could do a good flush, i wanted to tend to a leaky valve cover gasket and a little rattle I could just start to pick up around the 2,4 cyls. Shes a solid roller and sure enough the valves were off a bit so spent the rest of yesterday going through and doing a full valve adjustment across the board. The drivers side is a pain, the hydro-boost is so close you need to pull if off the firewall to get that side done, but its set now.

Was a bit late by the time i was done last night so waited till this am to do a test drive. Currently, the radiator has the one bottle of prestone flush and hose water, 0 engine time. I figured Id at least let it cycle before dumping, so with the excitement of starting the day right i just jumped in betsy and did a 30 mile lake loop with my coffee, underwear and Hank Williams t-shirt, ha! Good thing there wasn't any issues, imagine that....

When she cools, ill drain it off and pull the radiator (thanks la!) and do what i can to get the crud out. I'll re-fill with distilled water, add the thermo cure and put 8hrs on engine time. Thats about what i see a lot of people posting as a good result. When that dumps, ill re-do once more and see how things are going.....

More to come...

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Had some time today and was able to drain the prestone flush after 30min drive time and it was brown! Pulled the radiator and shook the livin $hit out of it then held in the hose and flushed. Repeated that process till i hit muscle failure (ha) and couldnt see anymore progress... Each time i did i got a bit more chunks of metal flake that i was able to roll a magnet over and pick up. You can see in the pics the pieces and for the heck of it put a few in a beaker with a mix of the theromcure for kicks.

Everything's back together but its raining cats-n-dogs, so hopefully tomorrow can start the clock to 8hrs run time and another flush....

More to come...

20190613_163425.jpg

20190613_160313.jpg

20190613_160318.jpg

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, with a goal of 4hrs of run time before a flush, i was out with Jeanne for 20 and stayed around 175 or so and actually shocked... The part that blew my mind was something i had no thought of... We were driving, temps outside were a little cool (mid 60's), driving along and WAM, a wall of heat hit. It was completely unexpected, we were both in shorts and felt it at the same time, real heat from the heater!

First video is of the temp and the second is the progress the Thermocure is having on the slag, eating it in the beaker!!

3.5 more hours then well flush and see what we get!

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm a dumass!!! Out with jeanne, all is well, temp between 170-190, I pull into a gas station and she runs in. I left it idling to see how we did and whooooshhhhh.. bottom hose of the water pump popped and dumped right there!

What a mess and completely avoidable.. I've been rechecking everything else after the intake swap except the water pump clamps... Only good thing, it didn't take long before I could pop the cap and put 3 gals of water in and limp home...

I guess that flush is done, ha, so I'll cleaner her up tomorrow, drain the water and replace with distilled, and add in the second thernocure...

(one weird thing to mention.. Yesterday am, stone cold, a day after my first drive on thermocure, i checked the radiator level and when i twisted the cap, it was still under some pressure!. It made a strong "psssss" and the cap popped off under the pressure of like a can of soda shaken up.. Any chance this stuff could pressurize the system more than conventional 16psi?)

Attachments

• 20190617_171631.jpg
    20190617_171631.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190617_171626.jpg
    20190617_171626.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190617_171613.jpg
    20190617_171613.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Been raining cats and dogs for days, so no real update, but, I'm super impressed with the Thermocure in the beaker. Looks like we're close to seeing the slag completely dissolved...

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi everyone, wanted to say hello!!!

I've been completely side tracked on our healey. I made a mistake and was troubleshooting my rear brake lights when Avery called me out on a Corn Hole game. Well, 5 hrs later after that and messing in playing in the pool with the kids, I didnt realize I left the key in the ON position and completely fried my coil, cap, and pertronix ignition!! When i went to pull it in, you could hardly touch the coil, smoken hot...All set now but what a pain figuring out all the parts that got smoked.... (I've added a few vids of some troubleshooting and the quest for spark at the bottomof the thread if anyone wants to pass the time)

Betsy, we've done 4 more loops (24 mile rides around the lake) with the thermocure in her and she's ready to be flushed and go to 50/50. That stuff completely dissolved the stuff in the beaker so hopefully were all set. On thing I noticed, it builds massive pressure. So after each ride, we pull it in and overnight she cools down. One time, after days and days of rain, i had to wait and before i took a trip i always pop the hood and check things out. The upper hose was hard as a rock, so i started to take the cap off the radiator and BOOM! It was like taking a big 2 liter of coke, shake the crap out of it and pop the top. It blew my hand off the cover and what a mess....

So after each cool down I learned to slowly crack it and release pressure....The other thing with this stuff, it stinks, like rotten eggs....

With all that, hopefully it did the job and ill take some pics of the insides when i flush it....

HAPPY 4th and fly that beautiful Betsy Ross Flag high and proud!!

(Don, broke another phone so when it comes in ill call and catch up!! 4th this year!)

Capture.JPG

20190703_131258.jpg20190703_131500.jpg20190703_150356 (1).jpg

Last edited: