Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
OMG! So we were starting on the panels today and hahahahahah, we found some thick mud!!! I knew it was there but omg, someone was a sculpture artist!! The pics dont do it justice, but we cut through about half inch of crap before we hit steel at the headlight buckets. Thankfully, the rest of the fender and its partner are much cleaner...

The fenders on this thing are steel, the body/boot are aluminum..

We ground it down and started the process of plugging the holes with weld and grinding... Doesnt look like much now but tomorrow with some mig magic, grinding, primer, we should be ok...

Capture.JPG20200428_113929.jpg20200428_113937.jpg20200428_113942.jpg20200428_120146.jpg20200428_120151.jpg..

Attachments

• 20200428_130502.jpg
    20200428_130502.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, Avery has the "boot" almost done, working hard using the hammer-dolly. I think today he's gonna put a first coat of self-etch and some primer build.

Couldnt finish the front fenders yesterday, jeanne worked the night before and was sleeping. My main body tools are all air and main compressor when it kicks on, wakes up the house so started on the "bonnet". That we have electric grinders and ran an extension way away from the house.....

The bonnet (front of the car were yankees) had more HACKER work. A full inch of mud instead of taking the time to hammer out the past bumps.

And when you say they dont make things like they used too, its true... I have a antique fan fetish and pulled out my trusty 1920 westinghouse fan to blow dust while i started sanding off. These old fans are the best, and this one were restoring...

20200429_130122.jpg20200429_140925.jpg20200429_140933.jpg20200429_132958.jpg20200429_135542 (1).jpg20200429_140930.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, Avery has the "boot" almost done, working hard using the hammer-dolly. I think today he's gonna put a first coat of self-etch and some primer build.

Couldnt finish the front fenders yesterday, jeanne worked the night before and was sleeping. My main body tools are all air and main compressor when it kicks on, wakes up the house so started on the "bonnet". That we have electric grinders and ran an extension way away from the house.....

The bonnet (front of the car were yankees) had more HACKER work. A full inch of mud instead of taking the time to hammer out the past bumps.

And when you say they dont make things like they used too, its true... I have a antique fan fetish and pulled out my trusty 1920 westinghouse fan to blow dust while i started sanding off. These old fans are the best, and this one were restoring...

View attachment 81779View attachment 81783
Wow, I don't think I ever saw filler that thick. :wacko:doh

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, another cold see your breath kinda day here in NH but no excuse, we set up a cover and just dug in till we got back to good metal. We looked like snow men towards the end and had jeanne yell at us when we tried to come in, ha! She made us stay outside and blow off with air and strip before we could come in and shower.. :>)

Tomorrow we'll start tackling the repairs and maybe get a primer coat on, who knows...

On the engine, waiting for a set of intake/exhaust studs and the rest of our order from the UK. We bought a ton of stuff and only 1 box showed this week..

20200430_114136.jpg20200430_114146.jpg20200430_130350.jpg20200430_130356.jpg20200430_130440.jpg20200430_134846.jpg20200430_134852.jpg20200430_134852.jpg20200430_134856.jpg20200430_134901.jpg20200430_134904.jpg

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Are you sure that not an MGA that someone made look like a Healey. :D

HA! Man o man we were sweatin-it. Two grinders just going "BUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" and freaking out waiting to see metal! Would have been nice to see a XKE 120 pop out.. Overall, whats here as a base really isnt that terrible and have no idea why the past guys added so much mud.

The buckets are the main mess... The fenders are steel, so we should be ok with some welding and grinding to make it a little better, but the cowl being aluminum, were thinking of tracing out the buckets with scrap, shaping it, then using some panel epoxy to repair. Well post some pics and ask for help tomorrow for sure...

Junky

Well Known Member
It was a hand built car, and that is the only way that they could get the panels to fit properly. They probably used lead originally, and someone before you took all the lead out, and realized why the lead was there after they removed it. Then they filled everything with plastic (mud), and I have a bad feeling that you are about to do the same thing. They had to have a reason for doing it that way, but unfortunately, you won't learn what that reason is, until you are ready to put it all back together. I had a 1963 Chrysler that was the same way.. Lots of mud on the top of the front fender. Figured out that they mudded the top of the fender, because the fender wasn't stamped correctly, and was 1/4" too low at the hood and cowl. Left it alone, and it is still that way today. There is always a reason, but learning what that reason was can take a long long time to figure out. If it were me, I would have slapped it back together, and then figured out what the reasoning was for all that mud, before I took it out.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It was a hand built car, and that is the only way that they could get the panels to fit properly. They probably used lead originally, and someone before you took all the lead out, and realized why the lead was there after they removed it. Then they filled everything with plastic (mud), and I have a bad feeling that you are about to do the same thing. They had to have a reason for doing it that way, but unfortunately, you won't learn what that reason is, until you are ready to put it all back together. I had a 1963 Chrysler that was the same way.. Lots of mud on the top of the front fender. Figured out that they mudded the top of the fender, because the fender wasn't stamped correctly, and was 1/4" too low at the hood and cowl. Left it alone, and it is still that way today. There is always a reason, but learning what that reason was can take a long long time to figure out. If it were me, I would have slapped it back together, and then figured out what the reasoning was for all that mud, before I took it out.

Hey hey Junky!!!!

Yup, funny you say that. I had the same thought flash before my eyes before the first pass with the sander.. I really did, i sat there and was wondering if it made sense to dig in or just run it... The hard part was we needed to repair a few areas that had failed and thought it would have been a matter of time and others could go. My luck, we get it painted and cracks form a year later.... So, while were hanging around and not doing much, we figured we might as well get as much done as we can before the paint shop is ready for the panels. Saves some cash too... At the very least, we will be able to hammer out some of the dings and save some weight at the very leaset, ha! :>)

Haven't heard back from the auto body shop about the frame straightening yet. Its about a week, how long would you guys give a shop before you call?

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The squeaky wheel gets the grease....

Yea, I guess since today makes a week its been long enough to make the call.

Today, more rain, but will be workin on prepping all the "good" stuff. The hood, trunk lid, rear fenders and areas on the cowl and front fenders that require just primer and paint... Once were done that, if the shops not ready, well start to tackle on the hard parts...

Still waiting on all the important engine and gear box stuff... 2 Packages made it to Cincinnati from the UK to me in NH, and one still there...

Were hoping we can just run the gearbox that was in it.. Outside looks terrible, but the fliud was clear so thinking of pulling the side cover and looking at the gears. If they look ok, no chunks of missing teeth, we were gonna run it.. Well post some pics...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
Looks like one package didn't pass customs. They probably looked at the cost, and said "for that price, there must be drugs inside one of those parts, and we will have to dig deeper into the box." Not unusual for delays in over seas shipments. Be patient, and hope that it doesn't get lost and wind up back in the UK.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well boys, it was a "good day to have a good day" and it happened, we received all our stuff!!! I talked to the guy and he said he didnt really know what happened, but it didnt matter to us, we are set! Took about a hour to go through everything, but we have the parts to make it work now....

For the body shop, talked to Mark and he said the car was "pulled back" and monday he will grab it and do the firewall and jams. That means primer, paint, for those areas and ready for us to sling in the engine/gearbox for the weight. I remember the last one we did, we gapped everything perfect WITHOUT the engine and gearbox, and when we put in the weight, the gaps were off...

I told him about what we "uncovered" and he said not to mess with the metal areas that are a mess, he would fix them the right way, so on monday, avery and i will finish getting everything blocked and consistent.

Yesterday we re-connected the front clip and took a look.. Still a mess, but were closer....

20200501_121633.jpg

Attachments

• 20200501_121638.jpg
    20200501_121638.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200501_121642.jpg
    20200501_121642.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200501_131220.jpg
    20200501_131220.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200501_162903.jpg