Door handles, do you replate or replace?

Restore or replace?

• Restore the originals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace with repro

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

bobs409

Administrator
I was just wondering what you guys prefer when it comes to outer door handles. Do you like to have yours restored or just pop on a set of repro's? (no I'm not giving you the option of NOS!) :D

I was lucky to have purchased NOS handles for my 63 a long time ago (thanks LGC's!) so I'm good on that car.:)

If you had your handles redone, what did you pay?

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
It's probably cheaper to purchase NOS than it would be to repair and re-plate a set of blistered originals. I suspect most go the reproduction route.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my Bel Air I use the repos by trim as Tommy mentioned. On my 57 Buick and 60 Pontiac I replated as there is no other option and my cores were beautiful. Cost was 35.00 each and included the button for a total of 70.00

blkss64

Well Known Member
Hello Tripower . As we live in the same state, who did your plating? In Washington or Oregon. That is a fantastic price for your handles. Can't get it done that cheap in Seattle!

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I purchased door handles, from the original LGC, back in the early 90's. They were Trim Parts, and still look Mint.:clap

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Trim Parts is the only way to go!!! I've had NOS and there is no comparison with Trim Parts quality.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
trim parts repro is the best - I have one set and its nicer than my NOS ones
Paul

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello Tripower . As we live in the same state, who did your plating? In Washington or Oregon. That is a fantastic price for your handles. Can't get it done that cheap in Seattle!
Donnie Meth Owns American Plating in Centralia, WA. 360-736-0052 He also owns Show Quality Metal Finishing 206-762-6717 at the north end of Boeing Field. You can drop stuff off at the Boeing Field location. I have been dealing with him since 1988. I also looked up the invoice on my 57 Buick and the cost on those were 50.00 each for a total of 100.00 but they have much more detail in the castings.