Double flare tool for tubing, need a good one.

bobs409

Administrator
Pulling my hair out! I have a cheapy double flare tool for brake and fuel lines and the tube keeps pushing down the hole instead of flaring! I made a few successful flares with this in the past for small sizes but I need one for 3/8 and it's just not happening. I even tried putting extra clamps, vice grips and even the bench vice to cinch down on the line and it still slips.

Can anyone recommend a good one? I think I'm having a bad MONTH!!!! :tantrum :bang :gaah

This is what mine looks like:

ken5889550k.jpg

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My tool is similar to yours Bob and I also experience the same issues. I tighten those wings nuts the best I can. Sometimes they hold, sometimes not. A bigger problem for me are the rings left on the tubing from where it was gripped between the bars. Many times I can't get the male fitting to move to the end; where the flare is. I find myself having to do some filing. What a pita that is. I'd also like a better one, but $474.00 is a bit much for me. Maybe there is something in the middle, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
Why do you need a double flare on a 3/8ths. line.Take the bar apart and mill about .030 off one side,then add a flat washer to each nut.Cheap tools=cheap results!

It's for a fuel line. I tried a single flare but it leaked. This is going into a brass fitting made by Edelbrock. A single flare works on the fuel pump without leaking but not on this fitting for some reason.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Mine look's similar to your's Bob, it's either a rigid or imperial. I have not had any problem with tube sliding down. Maybe your's is wore out.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I bought a K-Tool International, from Summit. :clapIt was around $ 230.00 It works PERFECT, EVERY TIME. :applIt looks just like, the one Eastwood sells. I've had it for 4 years . I wish I bought it sooner.:doh

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Imperial is what I have used more times than I would want to count.
Works good last long time.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I have the same type flare tool you have Bob. Mine is a Blue Point from Snap On. Never had a line slip or any other problem with it. I also have the hydraulic flare tool that Rickys61 posted the link too. This works fantastic for all of the different types of flares and fuel line connections that it makes.

Windingout

Supporting Member 2
Having sold tools for 31 years I recomend the Mastetcool hydraulic set that should sell for $400 or less. That is pricey for occasional use so Imperial is next best. Trouble free and it does what it is intended to do. The one in the pic looks like an Old Forge unit and does slip on the larger lines. The difference is the bar is 5/8 on the Imperial and 1/2" on the Old Forge style. Like everything else these days the Chinese have copied the Old Forge style and they come in many brands and different colored boxes. They are all junk. The Imperial should not cost more than $75 usd. Most of the tool trucks stock it or can order the Imperial set. Snap On sells the Imperial set under the Blue Point brand.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
It's for a fuel line. I tried a single flare but it leaked. This is going into a brass fitting made by Edelbrock. A single flare works on the fuel pump without leaking but not on this fitting for some reason.

Bob, I had a flare tool identical to yours and I threw it away ! :D I have tried to single flare like a 3/8 steel line but the steel lines I've tried just split without the double roll.
I wound up buying one from the snap on guy and it works fine.
Ken

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a Rigid set, and had a similar problem to yours Bob,
I rectified this by linishing the the mating surfaces, I think there are variations in outside diameter of available tubes, copper, steel and s/steel

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

There's your problem; Edelbrock made something, Carmine.