DOUG'S HEADERS

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I purchased a set of un-coated Doug's Tri-Y headers years ago(2012?) when I first put the 09 in my four door. The headers fit as close to perfect as could be. They were easy to install and remove without jacking the engine or transmission. The normal things had to be removed- oil filter housing, steering shaft, alternator, power steering pump and the starter. My mistake was not purchasing a set with the ceramic coating, I won't make that mistake again, I hope. :D So, since the headers had rusted through the high temp paint I used and I had to remove them to replace my upper control arms, I purchased a new set of Doug's Tri-Ys, ceramic coated this time. this past Saturday, I removed the old headers and replaced the control arms. I started to install the driver side header and found that it would not fit into position as the previous header had. I removed the left motor mount bolt and jacked the engine then removed the trans mount and began jacking the transmission. I tried all different combinations up/down with the engine and transmission and finally found a spot where I could get the header above to frame rail. I started a few bolts in the head and lowered the engine and transmission back down. The header wedged into the frame and the flange would no longer sit flush to the head. Not even close. I had a shirt in between the header and the frame to help cut down on the scratches. I couldn't pull the shirt out or move it to get a good picture of the problem area, but it was on the frame near the brake hose bracket and also where the cross member curves up and around to the frame rail that jammed the worst. I'll add a few pictures in a little bit. My parts gut spoke to a rep at Doug's who reviewed my photos and checked their remaining inventory, and all nine sets they have are a match for the new set that doesn't fit. The rep agreed that there is a problem and they would be investigating the issue.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My reason for posting this is only for information. I may be the only one that has an installation problem with the new headers, but anyone purchasing a set or thinking of purchasing a set, beware of a potential installation and fitment issue. I posted numerous times how well the original set of Doug's headers fit. But now the new sets are slightly different. The new set is made on Mexico, I wonder if the old set was also. Or did the manufacturing facility get moved and the jigs all f'd up or poor quality control?????

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I had the same problem, had to beat on them to get them to fit. The exact place yours is giving you a problem. They now clear the frame by a credit card thickness, drivers side only, the passenger side slipped right in perfectly. Bought them about six months ago.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Why don't you have your good fitting ones coated?
Mike, I forgot to add to this post, the old rusty set that fit great will be shipped out tomorrow to Jet-Hot in Oklahoma for coating. I would have liked to have another set of headers for another future project. So I figured I would just swap out the headers and be back on the road in no time. But now I'll have to wait a few weeks for the headers to return, so no cruising in the four door til then.:thumbdown

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had the same problem, had to beat on them to get them to fit. The exact place yours is giving you a problem. They now clear the frame by a credit card thickness, drivers side only, the passenger side slipped right in perfectly. Bought them about six months ago.
If this wasn't a coated set, I may have tried that. But after the first set fit so nice and the money I paid for the new set, I wasn't about to start manipulating them and damage the coating. There are stamped numbers on the flange, one is the part number and the other set looks like a date code 8-18.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Got my original headers back from Jet-Hot yesterday. Look great. I had a half hour this morning, before work, to start the install. Took all of 30 seconds to slide the driver header in place and start a bolt. Then after starting a few more bolts I realized the coating was causing a little interference in the bolt holes. So off it came in under a minute, reamed the holes and back on the car. I would suggest anyone contemplating sending a part out to be coating, drill any holes a step oversize, if possible, before coating.20190625_193819.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hello interesting read, I just bought a set of Doug's TRI-Wy headers for my 09, and they fit like a glove, I had no issues, that's strange?
Glad to hear they fit. My older set fit great, but the set I purchased this past winter did not. It would be interesting to see what the tubes look like on yours compared to my pictures above. Also would be interesting what stamped numbers(I believe it's a date code) are on yours.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
AC season has me pretty tied up, I slipped out to snap some pics, hope it helps, engine is still being worked on so we have not done any clean up or polishing on it yet, but the pics turned out good for angles/numbers etc, hope it helps.IMG_3461.JPGIMG_3461.JPGIMG_3461.JPGIMG_3461.JPGIMG_3462.JPGIMG_3463.JPGIMG_3465.JPGIMG_3468.JPGIMG_3469.JPG

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for the pictures! Your set looks just like my original set. And what I'm guessing is the date code, looks to be July 2017. The set I had a problem with, had a code from 2018. Now I'm guessing sometime in 2018 something changed at the manufacturer. Hope they get the problem fixed, I'd like to get another set.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jim, I see the same date code, odd thing is I just bought them 6 mos ago, must be new old stock, ordered them from Summit, Jegs had them but not in stock, good luck.
You would think at $800-$1000 a set these would fit like a glove, guess I got lucky.