drag boat racing this weekend

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
My son and I are heading to Lake Catherine in Malvern, Ark. this Thursday. the event is called "Smokin in the cove". Should be around 250 boats there running for a "LOT OF $$$$". Only running 1000 ft. so we will ET around 9 seconds.
Go to "smoking in the cove" and check it out, lots of pictures and videos.:cool:

W Head

59 el Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
tell cassy i said BEST OF LUCK
dont forget
I am still looking for wall posters

I owe you a couple of beers ( maybe 3or 6 ) from Marble falls

will talk next week when you get home
be carefull on the highways

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wayne, Here is a little clip for you and others here that I think you will enjoy. Also the history of a great man that really set the course for the great sport of Boat Racing.....:bow:bow:bow And a picture of last weekend at the ACBS Show on Mason Lake in Grapeveiw Washington. That's me in the front passengers seat.....:cheers

Attachments

• 28'_Garwood_Triple.jpg
    28'_Garwood_Triple.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 29

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
smokin in the cove

What a wild time!!! The air was always around 1000 ft.-humid. around 45%-air temp. in the 60s-water temp. 70. Off the trailer we ran 8.87 (our class is 9.00 seconds) and 100 mph in 1000 ft. We have never run 100 mph in a 1/4 mile before.(24 boats in our class) Second attempt the elect. fuel pump went south. The #1 qualifier in our class had an extra and let us have it (great sportmanship). Third attempt to qualify we added 80 lbs. of weight and went faster 8.71. Final attempt we changed to a 4 blade prop and ran 9.24 and got into the show. Each class only takes the top 16 boats. Our class went from a 9.001 to 9.24 (we were the slowest, but were in the show) We lost on the first round, ran a 9.09, lost to a 9.14- lost on a slow reaction time.
This was out first trip to "Smokin In The Cove", but it will not be the last. This is a racers race no SDBA or IHBA or other sactions. I have never seen such close racing ever. Example, the 8 sec. class had 38 boats (only 16 could get in) you had to run a 8.06 or better to get in the show and off the line, I can't tell you how many .00 lights that I saw. We may have lost in the first round, but our goal was to make the race, now that we know what to do and how good the racing and air is there, we will do better next year. What a great time!!!!!!!:cool:

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Tell Casey to start thinking QUICKER :doh

I still say you need a huffer on top:cool::cool:
but then he would have to have a closed capsule:?

way to go

tell casey congratulations :bow:bow

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tell Casey to start thinking QUICKER :doh

I still say you need a huffer on top:cool::cool:
but then he would have to have a closed capsule:?

way to go

tell casey congratulations :bow:bow

You can run open blown flat or open injected alcohol Flat without a capsule....:deal you just need to have titanium nuts......:deal

Attachments

• tarbaby2blower 1.jpg
    tarbaby2blower 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 22
  • tarbaby2injection 1.jpg
    tarbaby2injection 1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 21

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
outboard

You can run open blown flat or open alcohol Flat without a capsule....:deal you just need to have titanium nuts......:deal

We are running a Mercury outboard and making 350 Hp at the prop and have put a lot of BB Chevys on the trailer in the past.. It is outboard paradice up there with the water temp. and great air. Roger is just funning, he knows what we run. I have just never seen racing this close. Ya'll know how close NHRA prostock is, well this is a lot closer. It is just crazy at "SMOKIN IN THE COVE":crazy

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
some guys in our group started out by making fun of the "weedwhackers" it didnt take them long to realize their mistake.
congrats on making the show............it's a hard way to go.
my last 3 boats were runner flatbottoms, meaning you have 2 peddles to control the cavitation plate. (by bending it down then locking it in place)
i would take off early, but to avoid redlighting, hang the front real high. then at the line i would jam the down peddle and blow the tail out of the water for some occaisional .00 lights. (plus you are almost on plane at the start) the boat went a best of 7.40 @ 147 mph this way. what a ride. sometimes i miss it.

again...............congrats. it's no easy task.