Drag racing Question

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My 79 Camaro Pontiac motor is gettign real close for it's maiden voyage to the track. Need to get front end alignment and exhaust system andf ready to go.10.0s in the heat is my goal , until I want to go faster! Cage should be legal I had put in it. Just doing the license passes etc is a pain.

There are many Super Stockers running Pontiac motors in third gens. A couple with 455 SD motors.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I am bringing this back from the dead. Just got the new 468 shortblock done today, shoved in the .600 roller cam and have one head on it. I decided over the winter to try a 934 gen IV BBC heads that I got for a song. Gave them a simple bowl cleanup and competition valve job, added the new springs and intake valves (lighter). Everyone I know is giving me crap for running Sq. Port heads but I just have to try them. Motor will have a 163 ported intake on it to start out and the compression is 10.3 to 1, should light the tires up pretty easy. Have like 20 carbs to test if I need to, so I will never get tired of testing stuff.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
You are going to like a SQ port.

Last time I ran some they were the old 840's on a 375hp 396 and that car was a slug. I think they work much better with the larger cube engines. I do have some NHRA legal 401 aluminum castings that my buddy sold me for a few hundred bucks but after dumping a ton of money into them with poor results with his 396, he is building something else now. The will need a new valve job as they used 55° seats but I think that was the wrong way to go with what he was doing, but that's just me. If you are limited to a .500 lift than you need the heads to flow really well from .200 to .450, but what do I know I am just a poor little guy with some big dollar heads to test some day. If the new engine runs in the mid to high 10's I sure would be happy.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I am bringing this back up as I put a new set of peanut port heads on that I ported and used 2.19 and 1.88 valves in them with the same flat top 454. The castings are 360's that were on the 1990 SS 454 trucks and they are a little meatier than my 236 castings. After a poor run off the trailer and the engine shooting ducks down the track (carb trouble) I put my 850 Mighty Demon on the car and at the end of the day ran a stealer 11.29@116mph with the car combo all the same except for the Heads and taller tires. I ended up short shifting it and that really helped out the ET dept. I would have never thought this low compression engine would run good with a single plane intake no less. Makes one wonder what it might run with a 12:1 set of slugs in it.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
So this will be the final for the year as I just read they are closing the track for the rest of the year. Last week I switched to a dual plane RPM intake and ran the best of an 11.25@117mph, so the intake was worth a little. The 1/8 mile MPH was better by 2 mph though so I know it was making more power in that 660 time. All and all it been a good season with 3 different engine all running from 10.90's to 11.50's, I had a lot of fun for a change.