dragstrip today,, starting line 1- driveshaft-0

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
went to the dragstrip today broke the driveshaft on the first pass. is there a HD carrier bearing yoke? this was a 4000rpm launch, 28x 10.5 slick, 3800 plus pounds. car did not even move.100_2629.JPG 100_2630.JPG 100_2635.JPG 100_2628.JPG

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a competent driveshaft shop locally. just need to know what people use for the carrier bearing yoke that will take abuse. I do have a slip yoke in the rear section of my current shaft.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
critical speed of a one piece 60'' long driveshaft, 3 '' is 4130 is 4787 rpm, 3 1/2'' 4130 is 5566 rpm. these options seem weaker than a two piece. a 4'' mild steel will get me to 6306 rpm I think that would require some major modification to get to fit in a X frame car, don't know if a 3 1/2'' will work very easily.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Don't mean to step on toes but....real race cars don't have two piece drive shafts for a reason. There are better materials for a drive shaft than mild steel...that said we ran mild steel in the early days with the 62...3 1/2" to probably 7200 Later went to carbon fiber and ran it to 9000. We're currently running a 3 1/2" aluminum to nearly 9500...but to quote a friend..."if it was easy monkeys would do it"...good luck with the project!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Don't mean to step on toes but....real race cars don't have two piece drive shafts for a reason. There are better materials for a drive shaft than mild steel...that said we ran mild steel in the early days with the 62...3 1/2" to probably 7200 Later went to carbon fiber and ran it to 9000. We're currently running a 3 1/2" aluminum to nearly 9500...but to quote a friend..."if it was easy monkeys would do it"...good luck with the project!
Are talking about drive shaft RPM or engine RPM?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My Inland Empire 2 piece shaft has 125 plus runs on it, plus street miles. I run a real aggressive 6 puck clutch, 28x0.50x15 ET Drags and pull the wheels on the launch and pulling second. Leave at 4000-4500 and don't think twice about it. Not a race car, but does O.K. I am about 5800 through the the traps. No problems in 3 years.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
went to the dragstrip today broke the driveshaft on the first pass. is there a HD carrier bearing yoke? this was a 4000rpm launch, 28x 10.5 slick, 3800 plus pounds. car did not even move.View attachment 47722 View attachment 47723 View attachment 47724 View attachment 47721

Don't let the lowrider part fool you this a great piece of information from Inland Empire Driveshafts
http://www.lowrider.com/how-to-tech/transmission-drivetrain/1408-inland-empire-driveline-502-kit/

chris

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Interesting
I would not have thought they would cool a weld with water.
Just thinking if I would have my drive shaft guy build one I, we would use a larger center spline and put the slip directly on the front half.
Like a two peace truck drive shaft.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I run a 3.5 chromoly to 6500 and have for years. No failure and no vibration. I think it's 52 inches. Either way, all the experts would say I needed a carbon fibre shaft. Another guy in our group ran the same shaft as me running low 9s and his was even longer turning 8000 with zero failure. I think the issue
Is steady state rpm vs accelerating.

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
from the tip of my output shaft to the centerline of the u joint cup is 61 7/8'' on my car. I made my rear control arms 3/4'' longer to gain clearance on the front side of the tire to quarter panel. 60'' long one piece, is a long assed driveshaft. I really don't want to modify the driveshaft tunnel to run a one piece, but if that is what I need to do I will. what setup does BSL409 run? his car is probably one of the hardest running heavy X frame cars anywhere, I thought he has a 2 piece.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I can remember an old super Chevy article Back in the day......And there was a One piece driveshaft used For a 62 I believe it was the same identical length as a 72 Chevelle.......I guess my point isThe drive shaft from GM was a two piece as a result of the frame design and needing the clearance For the drive shaft throughout the suspension travel, More so than the length of the drive shaft