Drive-ins

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Not sure why I'm thinking about it, maybe those video's of old gas stations did it, but do you have any drive-ins in your area?? We had 4 at one time. One was sold and developed into senior citizen housing. Another just quit operating for some reason. The screen is still up. Now, we only have two left. One with just one screen and the other has 3 screens. From what I hear and read, guess we're lucky to have them. They're like dinosaurs. Boy, if they could only talk lol, Carmine.

Reactions: 327

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sadly, not many left. Like trying to find a phone booth. :D
Speaking of phone booths, I have an old glass/aluminum phone booth at my house. Vintage 60's I would guess. In very nice shape. I even bought a reproduction old black dial phone for it. Put a few coins in it for affect. I had it alongside one of my sheds. A few years ago, a woman came by and saw it. Now, this phone booth was 176' down my driveway, off the main road. She walked down to it and stole the phone out of it. My wife caught the tail end of the theft, got dressed and found her car about a mile down the road. She was at a deli. Saw the phone on her back seat and reclaimed it. Went into the deli and gave her a serious case of baboon ass in addition to calling the police and she was arrested. Had to move the phonebooth location as to not invite trouble again. Sometime after that, I saw what appeared to be a racoon tail hanging down above the door which was partially open. Had the grandkids over the previous day and I thought it was one of their hats they had been wearing. Took a closer look. Holy crap, there were two racoons sound asleep. Kind of scared me some. I did everything I could to wake them up; no way. I left the door wide open and the following day, they were gone. I think they called a cab to come get them lol.
I was just looking at this phone booth a few days ago. Needs to be cleaned. Glass gets dirty quickly. A friend has an interest in it. Not sure what I might do with it. Had it about 30-35 years. It is extremely heavy. Much more then I ever thought, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I often wondered if any of those old phone booths surived! They are so cool. I have too many possessions now or I'd get one!! :D
I worked with a guy who had a side contract with the phone company to get rid of the phonebooths in our area. Was replacing them with something smaller and easier to maintain. They wanted them all destroyed. Taken to the local dump/landfill. I found out about it and was able to get one. A city close to me was also eliminating parking meters. They had a ton of them which were destroyed. Found out about them too late. Ever see the price of some of these nostalgic items at flea markets?? Holy crap. You have to leave your first born. What I found very expensive were the old stand alone air pumps. Ones restored nicely, more then $1000.00, Carmine.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Born and raised in Newton Iowa and I have never known a day in my life where I couldn't go to the local drive-in every year. Beginning in April and open until Oct-Nov weather permitting. First movie watched there was Star Wars back in 1979 with my parents. Me setting between the seats of my step dads 1977 Triumph Spitfire on a wicker chair big enough for a 2 year old to set on as they were on a date night. Still have that wicker chair and my wife happened to get a 1977 Triumph Spitfire for her wedding gift. Today is our wedding anniversary. About 3 drive ins left in Iowa. We could easily put one up in Saylorville where I live now. Being in DesMoines means we would have a large enough population to pull from. Most people from here drive 45minutes to Newton and its packed every night and I have been turned away several times because its always full. Seen this old car show up for a movie so I snapped a photo.

_RLJ8294.JPG

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Born and raised in Newton Iowa and I have never known a day in my life where I couldn't go to the local drive-in every year. Beginning in April and open until Oct-Nov weather permitting. First movie watched there was Star Wars back in 1979 with my parents. Me setting between the seats of my step dads 1977 Triumph Spitfire on a wicker chair big enough for a 2 year old to set on as they were on a date night. Still have that wicker chair and my wife happened to get a 1977 Triumph Spitfire for her wedding gift. Today is our wedding anniversary. About 3 drive ins left in Iowa. We could easily put one up in Saylorville where I live now. Being in DesMoines means we would have a large enough population to pull from. Most people from here drive 45minutes to Newton and its packed every night and I have been turned away several times because its always full. Seen this old car show up for a movie so I snapped a photo.
Well in a Spitfire there shouldn't be any back seat shenanigans should you happen to take in a drive-in movie tonight!
Jeff

Last edited: