Drive shaft support

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Polyurethane will do the trick billet or not. Without the splined slip of the three piece drive shaft the center bearing must have some back and forth movement to compensate for the arc resulting from the up and down movement of the third member.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Polyurethane will do the trick billet or not. Without the splined slip of the three piece drive shaft the center bearing must have some back and forth movement to compensate for the arc resulting from the up and down movement of the third member.
That is mostly true. Keep in mind that a track car won't be flexing the rear suspension much (or at least shouldn't). Then in my case I have the Poly/Billet part but I also have a 5' long ladder bar that keeps everything in its place (front to back and twisting) while allowing for the suspension to go up and down freely.
Drag racers aren't the only one dealing with this. Lowriders have parts that work too. https://www.hopposonline.com/58-64-impala-back-half-drive-shaft-w-slip/
$135 for their Billet center support too.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That is mostly true. Keep in mind that a track car won't be flexing the rear suspension much (or at least shouldn't). Then in my case I have the Poly/Billet part but I also have a 5' long ladder bar that keeps everything in its place (front to back and twisting) while allowing for the suspension to go up and down freely.
Drag racers aren't the only one dealing with this. Lowriders have parts that work too. https://www.hopposonline.com/58-64-impala-back-half-drive-shaft-w-slip/
$135 for their Billet center support too.
No, its all true.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
No, its all true.
Yah, I went back and read it again. I meant its true with a couple of exceptions but there is additional risk associated with them. Most of us will agree that the best solution is to get a slip yoke back there. The rear axle has enough going on and if you can eliminate an issue for less than $500 bucks then its a very good idea. I forgot to mention my convertible has a factory style carrier bearing in it and it has 400hp. I've burned both tires with the Posi for 20 plus years with no issues. Come to think of it I should probably pull it out and take a close look at it this Spring since its been in there since 1998 when I bought it.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I run the billet with poly on my car. I used to run this solid one for a while too. I have the rear section with a slip yoke on it as well.

Attachments

• B70E0D77-54E8-4D4E-9802-672DD2CA1686.jpeg
    B70E0D77-54E8-4D4E-9802-672DD2CA1686.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 613B8104-0AD6-4ED3-946D-77F8764793B8.jpeg
    613B8104-0AD6-4ED3-946D-77F8764793B8.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 38

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes it is heavy. Could probably take some weight out by drilling in the main body of it. An old friend had some made up and would sell them. I think this was his last one he had.