Drive Shaft Tutorial for newbies

Coleman

69 Camaro vrs TH350 Impala 1961 length.JPG

Being new to the X frame style of car, I have a LOT to learn. The drive shaft(s) in particular are the first thing that when disassembling struck me as odd. My car was purchased with a TH350 transmission and my measurements are based on the drive shaft that was made for this transmission.

I am very interested in the folks who have modified their cars for the one piece drive shaft.
(I am replacing the drivetrain in my car from engine to rear end and everything in between)

Anyways here are some pics and measurements of my driveshaft.

The first pic is a shot of my old 1969 Camaro manual transmission drive shaft pictured with the 1961 shafts.

Camaro is 49 1/2" long verses the 1961 twin shafts, that are 59 1/2"

(Measured from the center of the universal to center of the universal)

Also note the Camaro drive shaft diameter is somewhat larger.

69 Camaro Drive Shaft vrs TH350 Impala 1961 Drive Shaft.JPG

Last edited:

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I run a one piece driveshaft in the race car. There is lots of reinforcing of the X frame partially due to NHRA requirements and partially because the center of the X frame must be cut to allow movement of the new driveshaft. One piece driveshafts are bigger in diameter due to something having to do with "Critical Speed". Don't ask me what that is because I don't understand it, maybe someone with a through knowledge of it will chime in, but if you want to read about you can check this page: http://www.wallaceracing.com/driveshaftspeed.htm or search for the term. Any way the one piece will need to be bigger and you will need to cut part of the frame to clear it.
I think a better solution would be to go with an Inland Empire two piece drive shaft. A few guys here are running them in pretty quick, high power cars. Read about them here: http://www.iedls.com Jegs, Summit and other carry them.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Isn't Ray running the Inland Empire HD 2 piece in his '60 that runs 11.60's at 4000 lbs.?? Probably as much stress as a 3300 lb. car that runs tens.
Yep, I have the big one with 1350 caps. It has the telescopic rear grease-able shaft. Just as said, 11.60 @ 115 with a.1.58 60'. Car car is probably still around 4000 lbs. was 4250 with me in it before the aluminum rad, aluminum heads and lite race wheels.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Slightly off subject here, but years ago I lengthened the frame on my grain truck 20 inches which meant the rear 1/2 of the 2 piece drive shaft needed to be 20 inches longer. I took the old shaft to a machine shop and told them I need a new one built and gave them the new length. The said they wouldn't build it, it was 2 inches too long. I don't remember what they said the max length was. They finally said they would build it, but no guarantee. This was going in that 58 2 ton grain truck with the JA 409. I got it all together and on the first run, just before the tach hit 5000 rpm in high gear, the new drive shaft broke. It sound like a shotgun went off in the cab, dust came out of places that I didn't know collected dust. It bent the bottom lip on the right frame rail, poked a huge hole in the right inside dual tire, but did not hurt the pinion. I then went to a 3 piece driveline, no trouble since. That is what the machine shop recommended in the first place.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did Ray replace both front and rear ???? Has anyone replaced just the rear ?????Would just the rear be ok with my original front shaft???

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Did Ray replace both front and rear ???? Has anyone replaced just the rear ?????Would just the rear be ok with my original front shaft???
You can replace the rear only. I believe Inland will sell you that part. It depends on what you want to do with the car and how much HP you are making. If your making over 350 hp. I think you would want to step up to the HD shaft. The small shaft will have the 1310 Ujoints where the heavy shaft front and rear has 1350 joints.

Coleman

I know a couple of us have used Inland Empire. Anybody use these folks?

I have installed an LS3 480HP 475 TQ, 4L85e SuperMatic, 2,400-2,800 rpm converter and Moser 9" with a 3:50 TrakLok gear. Everything is Chevrolet Performance Connect and Cruise except the rear. Trying to button everything up for the 2015 HRPT!

PERFORMANCE INDUSTRIES ALL DRIVE LINES

(661) 633-2303

VISIT US AT http://www.alldrivelines.com/measure2piece/ FOR HOW TO MEASURE

Attachments

• 2015 204.jpg
    2015 204.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 13

Windingout

Supporting Member 2
Hi guys. Everytime I read one of these discussions I find myself facing the same issues you guys have been through. Then the knowlege flows like molten gold. My 63 project was a previous drag car and has been converted to a one piece drive shaft. That is small diameter about the size of the original two piece. I thought this was a good thing but now I guess not. So thanks for the info here, now I know what to do.