Driveline and u-joints ?

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Well my plan was to get a longer d-shaft for my 63 with the 700r4 and have it cut and balanced and do away with the 2 piece shaft . Now I am getting close to tackle this and am wondering about u-joints to fit the shaft and the pinion . Are all 2 wd vehicles the same cup diameter or ??? What diveline can I use that is longer than I need 56.5" that accepts the same u-joints as stock ???

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
65-72 Impala should be a bit longer. May be too large a diameter. I had a 3.5" built for mine. They have U-joints that can have 1310 on one half and maybe 1350 on the other. Lots of other conversions also. Bottom of the rear tunnel will also have to be cut about 13-15 inches for the one piece to work.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
UP-DATE went with the plan got me a driveshaft from an 82 Caprice had it shortened and balanced new conversion u-joint and new stock front u- joint = $170 .Cut the bottom of frame and welded in the pipe $18 to give it a belly for travel and ease of removal. Thanks models916 for the advice and pics. took her out for a short cruise (no front/rear window) she seems to ride smooothh .