Driveshaft 64 Impala Question

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I've been going through the archives gathering information.:crazy:cool::doh:bang Makes me dizzy. Does anyone have any idea when going to an Empire 1 piece 3" driveshaft with the 1350 u-joints, how much you would have to cut out of the frame of a "64" with a 4 speed and a F**d 9"??? I believe someone told me not much has to be cut out for this combination? Also how about making more clearance up in the front of the tunnel for the larger u-joint? The stock setup is my weak link and is leaving for sure. I'm haveing a hard time talking myself into going with the billet hanger brng, 3 u-joints and the mid slip joint. Right now i think the trade off of modifying the frame a little is better for me than having several more places for the driveline to break. IMO Also will be doing a little racing with slicks.

Thanks

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've been racing the IE 3 piece driveshaft for 2 years and not had one little bit of a problem with the DS or the 3-1350 ujoints or the billet carrier bearing. I'm using the Hoosier DOT drag radials[2 small grooves in the tire], hooks pretty good. I did have to cut a little bit of webbing on the front on the tunnel for the ujoint to clear. I may have cut a 1/2" or so at the bottom of the rear.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
frame mods

Here is pictures of the Len Woodrow project.

Attachments

• IMG_5607b.JPG
    IMG_5607b.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_5608b.JPG
    IMG_5608b.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5610b.JPG
    IMG_5610b.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 158

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I have the 3" IED with 1350 joints and a Tremec TKO 600 . No clearance issues with my frame tunnel. IED says SOME frames may need very minor trimming to allow front yoke to fit through the hole. Mine on my 62 did not.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
easy fit

1350 just clears the front opening in the X on my 62. My friend just cut the x tunnel in his 63 and says it was about 12-14 inches. I have a 700r4 and cut only about 8 inches and then welded in a bowed piece where I cut the piece out.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Guys

quick9r.........great pics.

09jud...i've looked at those. thanks.

Looks as if lots of you guys have 62's, and i see Tom's is a 63.

I don't seem to be able to find anyone with a 64 out there. Especially with a 9" rear end.

Frames......is every year different???

Thanks

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
pretty much the same

59-64 X is the same. Some differences on the details between Mfgs.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ok

I have the 3" IED with 1350 joints and a Tremec TKO 600 . No clearance issues with my frame tunnel. IED says SOME frames may need very minor trimming to allow front yoke to fit through the hole. Mine on my 62 did not.

Your IED is a 1 piece then?

Is your 5 speed about the same length as a stock 4 speed?

Thanks.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
models

59-64 X is the same. Some differences on the details between Mfgs.

Thats good to know. I remember reading something about frames coming from different mfg's. I did a search and came up with this:

Thanks

X-Frames

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1958-1964 Chevrolet X-Frame Manufacturers

1.) A.O. Smith - built reinforced frames for convertibles from 2 “C” channels welded together

2.) BUDD Corporation – built frames for sedans and hardtops from 2 “C” channels welded together

3.) Chevrolet – built frames for sedans and hardtops from an extruded steel tube. This has become known as the very popular and sought after "seamless" frame .......... aka "California", "Canadian", or "Detroit" frame

I can see that there is probably a big difference between a seamless frame and one that has 2 "C" channels welded together.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thats good to know. I remember reading something about frames coming from different mfg's. I did a search and came up with this:

Thanks

X-Frames

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1958-1964 Chevrolet X-Frame Manufacturers

1.) A.O. Smith - built reinforced frames for convertibles from 2 “C” channels welded together

2.) BUDD Corporation – built frames for sedans and hardtops from 2 “C” channels welded together

3.) Chevrolet – built frames for sedans and hardtops from an extruded steel tube. This has become known as the very popular and sought after "seamless" frame .......... aka "California", "Canadian", or "Detroit" frame

I can see that there is probably a big difference between a seamless frame and one that has 2 "C" channels welded together.

Cuzin Eddy take note how stout the center support bearing and driveshaft is from IED .My 64 has a seamless frame . I wonder if there was any rhyme or reason to what car got one or just supply chain.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Another Problem

2 piece. My Tremec is longer than a 4 speed. I had a hell of a time getting my driveline angles sorted out.

I've seen where some of the guys have had to shim the hanger bearing to make the driveline angle work. Did you have to do that also??

Thanks

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Longer?

If the tailshaft is longer, you would have to cut the bottom of the center bearing to get the angle into spec.

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A local fab shop that is a customer of mine. I think what they used a very large brake and indexed it to make the curve. They large fab work for lndustrial.

Quik9r