Driveshaft issue

64chevydude

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a yoke on my 1pc driveshaft with a 3.2 barrel length, it pulls out of the trans 1.5. I want to buy a 4 inch yoke rebalance it and call it a day. The driveshaft shop i called says i should make a new shaft.
Me being cheap thinks it should work. New yoke will all go farther in the trans. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Steve

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You are stretching out the distance from the rear bushing to the u joint. That will cause more stress on the rear bushing and extension housing,and more than likely cause a vibration in short order. Get a longer driveshaft. I tried it once, and it bit me.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I don't know why that would not work without making a new driveshaft. If the new yoke is too long than just cut it to the same length as the other one balance it and call it a day. Way too many shops trying to sell needless stuff. When I did my 1 piece for the 63 I use an old 69 Chevelle turbo 400 shaft that was sitting in the backyard for 30 years. Cleaned it up, 2 new u-joints and the same yoke. Go it balanced, worked out great.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looking to beef up my factory shaft with poly carrier and a rear slip yoke. Local driveshaft shop wants $700 to put it together. I laughed because you can simply buy new parts and build it for less than $300.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Yes. There are two holes in the bottom of the frame that you bolt the carrier bearing to, install the bolts after you have the front yoke into the transmission and the rear U joint strapped in.