driveshaft problem???????

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dear Abbey:

I need some insight...............

I had the front section of a driveshaft shortened for a customer who is putting a Super T-10 in a 62 Belair.

Now.........the original front section is installed with the center yoke by the carrier bearing...with the u-joints phased at 90 degrees. When the driveshaft shop shortened and re-welded it back together, the center yoke, because it is splined, is about 20 degrees off from being 90 degrees perpendicular to the front u-joint.

Is this a problem with vibration??????? Am I over-thinking this???????? A lot of you guys are more experienced in this than I am.............looking for advice.

Signed:

Confused in KC

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yes

I would say it's going to be a problem. I put my 2-piece rear in out of phase a couple of cogs on the splines in a hurry once and noticed the vibration right away. If it was a complete 90 out, you might not notice it.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
It will vibrate

The cross shafts in both ends need to "cycle together", if it not "in phase" the shaft will bind as it rotates. The only way it might not is if there is no offseting angles in the shaft. That is the joints are straight and parrallel.

Big Jim

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ya know Phil, it's funny that you bring that up. The shop that did my driveshaft did the very same thing. It doesn't seem to bother anything so I just left it alone?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Problem solved!!! Thanks to Mike...409z28. He emailed me a picture. The front section has the yokes at 90 degrees apart. The rear shaft has the yokes in the same plane. That way when the driveshaft is assembled...........everything lines up perfectly!!!

When I took the driveshaft back to the machine shop and told them I wanted it done correctly this time.........they said no problem. Then charged me a second time to cut off the yoke and reweld it. ???:dunno:dunno:beerbang:beerbang

Anyway.........thanks for the replies and a special THANKS to Mike!! This is going in the Hayden tribute 62!!