Driving Route 66

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't know why, but I was dreaming tonight about a trip down Rt 66. How much of the old highway is still around ? How much freeway would you be driving on cerus the old highway ? Thinking I could start in Cal and travel East and North from there. Maybe end up at Thompson, in June ! Anyone want to travel along ?

Who could I see along the way... :scratch:scratch Maybe drive Ms Bela, if I had a travel partner.

Your expert advise needed....

Bill

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I'll see if i still have the literature from when my wife and i rode it on our Harleys a few years ago.

playswithcars

Well Known Member
Bill

I was just out there last September. In AZ & NM, there are sections of the old 66 you can drive. Some are short, others a few miles longer. In many places along the Interstate, you can still see the out road running close by in a rundown condition. Brings back some tears and memories as in the 50's my family would travel on 466 in CA turning into 66 at the AZ line and going all the way to Chicago. Sometimes with the return trip to CA, we would take 54 out of Chicago only to link up again with 66 in NM. Slow going buy that was the 50's. Hope this helps. Bob

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
A few years back we were in AZ and drove thru Williams,
route 66 splits going thru there (very cool) and Williams was the last
section of 66 officially de-commissioned..........:cry
Later we drove an old section of 66 to Kingman..........brought
back a lot of memories as a buddy and me drove 66 from
St Louis to LA and back in Sept. 1966 in a 63 Vette........:D

:cheers
bj

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Been on a few sections of 66 over the past few years. If you get to Kingman be sure to go through the local museum. Lots of 66 history that is very informative. Lot of towns along the way that have sections of 66 that can be visited. There is a map available that shows all of the areas that can driven on. I would google Rt66 and see what you find.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So, from what I've seen so far, there isn't much of the "original" route left ???

Bill

de31168

Well Known Member
This is something I always wanted to do with my 58 chevy too. I agree there's not much left, but part of it does run right near me and is part of IL-53 which is where Route 66 Raceway is. Wouldn't it be great to have a 348-409 event there!?

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Actually there is quite a bit remaining...in broken sections. I've driven portions in Arizona...New Mexico...Texas...Oklahoma...and Missouri. I particually enjoyed portions of Arizona and New Mexico.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Back in the late 1950s & early 1960s I was attending college in Rolla Missouri and home was in west St. Louis county. I traveled Route 66 a lot. First year I didn't know many fellow students so I would hitchhike up and down old Route 66 every other weekend or so to visit home & back to school. It was tough getting a ride because of army guys stationed at Fort Leonard Wood just a few miles further west down Route 66 from Rolla would wear their uniforms and people would be more apt to give a soldier a ride. Later I found guys that owned a car and would ride with them. The one thing that I remember most about a part of Route 66 was the three lane section near Pacific Missouri. The middle lane was supposed to be for passing. Lord help you if you pulled out into the middle lane to pass someone only to see someone else in the distance pull out in the middle lane coming toward you - sometimes not a pretty picture. My last year I got a used car 1958 Red 348 Powerglide convertable to drive back and forth to school and I could then give my friends a ride.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Bill, three years ago when we were over in your great country we made it a must to see parts of ol Rt 66 and this was just wicked even though the roads were pretty crappy in places. We too had traveled through Kingman, Williams, Winslow, Barstow etc which was just awesome. These places and sections of the roads that are left you could just feel the buzz as to what once was.
Wicked time and a must to do.
Gav