Dry sump tank mounting

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Not sure if this is the right place for this message or if it would be better in different area.

Anyway, anyone running a dry sump? If so, where did you mount the tank? Pics would be great. Also any pics of pump mounting on a 409 would be cool too. Gonna start mocking up pump mounting this weekend, but if anyone has been down that road, I'd love to see it. My car is a 62, but curious to see any 58-65.

Thanks,

John

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
John, is your car stock type front end or a chassis car. Chassis cars are the only ones I’ve seen dry sumps in and generally mounted in the left front. Stock front could be a challange. Russ or Mr. Mckenzie might have some insight on this. Boy when you said you were going a different direction, you weren’t kidding!!! :appl

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
Yes, things have gotten out of hand in a good way. :) shooting for mid 10’s maybe low 10’s if I can get it all to the ground. Oil system is a bit overkill, but I’ve seen a lot of engines fail due to poor oiling and I’ve got too much wrapped up to risk a failure of that type.

The new engine is 540 cubes and were spinning it about 7k, my machinist and I wanted more capacity, and to not worry about starvation.

Also, it appears the World block throws a lot of oil up top which is good, but made me worry about how much was down low. And even with baffling it was difficult to keep the vacuum pump from pulling quite a bit of oil out. The vintage valve covers I want to run aren’t helping, they aren’t as tall as some.

And yes, stock chassis.

427John

Well Known Member
If your looking at the battery area,if you get another core support or if your not against cutting your original you could remove your inner headlight and bucket screen in the headlight trim ring and cut a hole in the core support to make a little more room.