Dual Plane manifold for 409 made from AMC engine

88m5

Well Known Member
Hi

Hi everyone

I am thinking of buying the single dual plane intake manifold (large port) for my 409 that was made from using a intake from a AMC engine not sure which one. Has anyone every heard of doing this? If so what AMC engine did they use? Do you think it would be that much better than the stock 400hp intake manifold? I have enclosed some photos.

Thanks

Chris

2.jpg1.jpg3c.jpg

tenxal

Well Known Member
Nicely done. I'd buy that in a New York minute.

Years ago, I cut up an Edelbrock single plane for a 'B' block Mopar for a W project. The runners are almost dead on for spacing with the W heads. Some .250 6061 T6 for a valley plate.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That would have been an Edelbrock R4B. When discussing tunnel rams I've see 383 mopar intakes modified for AMC and modified to work on 409s so I thought the three engines must be close on port spacing. Nice looking intake in the pictures.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Very nice looking piece! I,too thought that looked like an early Edelbrock piece.The runners certainly look better than the factory piece.From the looks if the port flange it looks like a 69 up manifold.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
My only question is will the distributor be in the correct location height wise? That has to be spot on or it will create issues.

Wouldn’t that be as simple as taking a measurement of a 409 distributor how much sticks down past the mounting flange of the intake manifold

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It almost looks like the distributor area is original?? As is the breather?? I'd like to see how that was made, pretty ingenious.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It looks like a 881 intake with the top milled off. I think some of the rear wall of the original penlum is there and some of the original intake under the ports. Exhaust crossover looks like the 409 intake too. R4B intakes are still highly thought of in AMC circles. I only have 3.

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
It looks like a 881 intake with the top milled off. I think some of the rear wall of the original penlum is there and some of the original intake under the ports. Exhaust crossover looks like the 409 intake too. R4B intakes are still highly thought of in AMC circles. I only have 3.
I think you're right as the mopar and amc have their distributors up front

88m5

Well Known Member
It is a AMC intake manifold center section with both ends cut off and 409/400 intake manifold section welded on both ends.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
It is a AMC intake manifold center section with both ends cut off and 409/400 intake manifold section welded on both ends.
I wonder where this manifold came from? What part of the country. I have seen one, my best friend from years ago built one, this could possibly be it because I have never seen or heard of another. His name was Jimmy Scott, he was a mechanical genius. The motor that his intake was on was a claimed to be 355 cubic inches, it was a totaly hand built W engine with 16 spark plugs, 2 distributors, a dry sump system and 180 degree headers. Jimmy passed away about 10 years ago and his family sold a lot of his stuff. Phil bought a set of Z 11 heads that was part of his stuff that was sold on ebay. Very interesting, it almost has to be some of Jimmys stuff.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
The guy that is selling the intake is the step son of my friend that I spoke of. Small world

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I would be supprised if that intake will match up to the ports on any heads. Jimmy changed the ports in the heads too.