dual quads

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
all you dual quad owners please help me out. i have a dual quad stroked 409 4 speed in my 62 ss and have a progressive linkage on it. it is normally street driven but i street drive extremely hard. here is my question- should i run the progressive set up or run a straight set up. i want all the power i can get but do not want any loading up or surging at lower speeds. please tell me what you are running and any driveability problems. runs good now but i want it to run better-don't we all!! thank you brian

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just made a solid linkage on my duals and run it that way. No drivability problems and love the sound ! I never trusted the progressive to fully open the front carb under WOT . I`ll snap a photo tomarrow and post it. It also gives a clean look and easier to hook-up the springs.,,,,dq

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is the set-up I just made. I got the swivel ends at the parts house and got some anodized alum stock at the hardware store. I then measured the lenght ,cut and threaded the ends. Installed them on the lower arns on the carbs,,,,,dq

See next post,,,picture did not load

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
HERESSSSSSSSS JOHNNIE!!!

Attachments

• resize of carblinkage1.jpg
    resize of carblinkage1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 364

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
What's the purpose fo the spring between the carbs? With them both tied together you shouldn't need that one spring. I had mine hooked up with both carbs opening together. Couldn't handle the terrible gas mileage

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The spring is a safty thing,,,,,If the linkage breaks it won`t over rev !!!,,dq

Gas milage???? Whats that???

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
thanks guys i'll give it a try. i am not worried about gas mileage as much as i am worried about a certain s-10 blazer with a hot 454 around here!! he wants to run and i want to get all i can out of my old boat anchor! thanks again. if you have any other tips, please feel free to let me know. brian

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Offenhauser makes a dual-quad intake for 348's & 340hp 409s Showcars has them. A high horsepower 409 intake can work too. It would be less than ideal though because the taller ports on the high HP intake won't match up, but it will bolt on okay.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
MrHP,,,Maybe we should have the club gathering at your place and ALL of us could chase that Blazer down and BLOW ALL his doors off !!! LOL !! He would never drive down your street again!!!! ,,,dq