Dual Snorkel Air clearner

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Can anyone tell me the difference in a 64-65 L79 Chevelle air cleaner and a 400hp 409 air cleaner. I have this air cleaner and believe its off a Chevelle but the only difference I can see is the lack of one indention on the top at the center of the passenger side air horn.

Attachments

• IMG_4878.JPG
    IMG_4878.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 38

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The difference is 15 indents vs 16 indents on top side of the lid Your air cleaner has 15 with one missing from the passenger side snorkel.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well Steve,it isn't an L79 from a Chevy Nova.
Don I was thinking an L79 from a Chevelle, I know the Nova L79 air cleaners have the snorkels at 3 & 9 o'clock. Its hard to determine if the 15 indents verses 16 indents is a model thing (409 400hp or L79 Chevelle) or a time and vendor thing as to when and where it was made. I find it hard to believe Chevrolet would make two different air cleaners at the same time with the only difference being the amount of dimples when other that that they are exactly the same. I have heard it both ways as to it being a 409 400hp or a L79 Chevelle air cleaner.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you look at a L79 Nova air cleaner the indent is also missing where the second snorkel was installed. I feel it was a manufacturing thing that wasn't there on the early ones.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This is what I think a 340 hp looks like.

au1215-228923_9.jpg