Dual Snorkel Air clearner

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I’m convinced that this was a supplier thing. I think that sometime in 1965 Chevrolet started getting the 15-dimple lids from who ever was stamping them. It’s not just on the chrome lids. I have seen painted lids, with a single, tapered snorkel and 15 dimples. Another thing that I have noticed is that the lower edge of the lids is different from a chrome lid vs.a non-chrome lid. Chrome lids are not rolled shut like a painted lid. I think to drain when they were pulled from the plating tank. The chrome lids are both mine. Left is my original 63 340 hp lid and the other is an original, 16-dimple, 400hp lid. The painted one is an original 61 single snorkel lid.

Ross

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 30

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Ross Male, who is a member here had a friend who Im sorry I can not remember his name but he made me a dual snorkel breather for my first 61 409 that I would defy anyone to tell it from an original factory breather. The guy was an absolute wizard at metal working and had the spot weld down pat. Wish I could remember his name. Maybe Ross will see this post

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tommy - That was Ralph Benedict (aqua409). The black lid posted above is of the one he made for me. You can’t tell the difference. A few years ago Ralph sold his azure aqua, 400hp 63 SS, parts, etc and moved on to enjoying family and retirement. He made a die that would correctly flange the hole for the second snorkel. He also found a shop that had the absolute correct size spot welder. A work of art.