Dual Snorkel Air clearner

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got what appears to be a L-79 motor in my '62 impala...after dinner I'll run out and take a pic as it's air cleaner looks the same as quik9r posted...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
it's not impressive with the powerslide don, I'm keeping an eye out for an auto 4 speed 700R4 mebbe...dunno why but my new program on my computer says the file is too large to upload and I'm pooped...the indention on the air cleaner is missing on the passenger side, other than that it appears to be the same, sits on a carter carb...

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think the L79 repops (have one on my 327) has 15 indents. Pictures of OEM L79 I’ve seen have 16 indents.

Fuzz

MAGA
I had my air cleaner with 15 dimples for over 30 years and is definitely not a repop so GM made those air cleaners both with 15 and 16 dimples. They had to be made at different times, I think the ones with 16 are the earlier production while the one with 15 being the later production.

427John

Well Known Member
Unlikely! When my dad got our 63 it had a 340 hp 327 and a 4.57 gear with a four speed. It sure turned some rpm at 55 mph but the 90/10 shocks and ball joint spacers were worse. Thing was all over the place.
Did Pop by an ex race car or did he make it one?

427John

Well Known Member
Could it be due to different suppliers?I can't imagine one supplier making all those air cleaner bodies for all the assembly plants.Didn't the 2 barrel air cleaners use the same stamping with different snorkels and bases?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Could it be due to different suppliers?I can't imagine one supplier making all those air cleaner bodies for all the assembly plants.Didn't the 2 barrel air cleaners use the same stamping with different snorkels and bases?
If you look at pictures of single snorkel air cleaners on later cars (63 and up) and L79 Nova's they all use the same body and have 15 dimples. As I indicated earlier I think it was either a change of supplier or they deleted one dimple for some unknown reason, maybe an assembly function. I know they made them (OEM) both ways but have no idea why or exactly when the change took place. If anyone would have a real 400 hp 63, 64, or 65 air cleaner on a true unmolested car a picture would be appreciated.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've heard people say that the 15 dimples are Chevelle's and the 16 dimples are 409's, but I don't believe that because Chevrolet would not make 2 air cleaners exactly the same except for one dimple.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If you look at pictures of single snorkel air cleaners on later cars (63 and up) and L79 Nova's they all use the same body and have 15 dimples. As I indicated earlier I think it was either a change of supplier or they deleted one dimple for some unknown reason, maybe an assembly function. I know they made them (OEM) both ways but have no idea why or exactly when the change took place. If anyone would have a real 400 hp 63, 64, or 65 air cleaner on a true unmolested car a picture would be appreciated.
yes we have a 63 400HP 32,000 miles two owner car in town that until a year ago the original owner who is my age was still alive unfortunately had a sudden heart attack. The car is in storage so I’ll get to it on a rainy day
Robert

bobs409

Administrator
Can anyone tell me the difference in a 64-65 L79 Chevelle air cleaner and a 400hp 409 air cleaner. I have this air cleaner and believe its off a Chevelle but the only difference I can see is the lack of one indention on the top at the center of the passenger side air horn.

Take a look at the inside where the holes are cut for the snorkels to see if someone may have added one. If it's been modified, it should be easy to detect. (unless the guy was a master metal worker)

Other than that, let's dig up Sherlock Holmes. :D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You can tell Im bored today, been on hold for 2 hours with SSA. So this is the question for those detail fanatics, since I am convinced Chevrolet used both 15 and 16 notches when did the change take place?