Duntov 30-30 cam

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I had the 8-18 in a 1964 ss impala 327 -250hp 4-speed in 1966 ran great and a friend had the 30-30 in a 1963 ss 327-300hp impala had to ajust the valves alot love the sound of solid lifters

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ross,
If you want to replicate a 63 340 hp engine, the cam you need is the original 097 "Duntov". Here are some comments from a respected mech engineer and car guy fromanother forum.

"I/E .050" lifter rise duration is approximately 228/231 degs. The POML's are 108.5/112.5, which allows you to compute the LSA. This is a test! You do the arithmetic.

Gross lobe lift is .26250/.26650". Some specs multiply actual lobe lift by 1.5.

Beyond the above I can tell you that the Duntov lobes are symmetrical, and other the having .004" taller clearance ramps the lobes above the tops of the clearance ramps are the same at any point. In other words, if you measure the lobe at any angle between the POML and the tops of the clearance ramps the exhaust lobe is .004" higher than the inlet lobe.

Since the Duntov is a mechanical lifter cam, part of the .050" lifter rise is clearance ramp - .008/012", so if you want to compare the Duntov to a hydraulic lifter cam you have to measure durations at .058/.062", and the resulting 220/220 duration means that a 220/220 duration hydraulic lifter cam with similar lift would be pretty close to the Duntov.

If you want a true to original Chevrolet blueprint copy, the Federal Mogul Speed Pro CS113R is a no-brainer, and you can order it at any NAPA store.

Maybe some other grinder has a "Duntov" a little cheaper, but even if it shares the same high level specs as listed above you have no way of knowing for sure if it's true to print unless you have it analyzed by a Cam Doctor machine and verify the lobe indexing on the engine.

If you are looking for an exact replica of OE camshafts, Federal Mogul is riskless. You may find someone who claims they offer the same thing a little cheaper, but it's more expensive to find out for sure than just paying for the correct part at NAPA or Northern Auto Parts.

Duke"
If you want the LT-1 cam, the GM part number is 3972178. Cross reference that with NAPA or FM for their number. From all I've read and heard on the subject, I would not choose the 30-30 cam unless it was for resto purposes.
JMHO:dunno

i believe this is correct. the only thing i can add is, the 097 can be used with a little less compression. the 30
30 needs high compression. of course i could be wrong. i believe they changed the lt1 cam so they could use
an auto. lower compression. jmho jim

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have a nos 178 camshaft in the garage. Was installed and never ran, then I took it out. Been saving it for something but it never happened.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Jack, I got the blower back, 2x4 adapter, both predator carbs, engine disassembled, and heads in the shop. Been moving slower than expected, but it is coming.