Dynamat / Fatmat / Sound Deadening & Heat Reduction

Junky

Well Known Member
What are you using for sound deadening and heat reduction, and how well is it working for you? Is one brand better than another, and how easy or difficult is it to install?
Thanks Junk

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Just talking about this today. Heavy dynamite is good for heat and noise suppression, they also do a ‘foam’ that is self adhesive and goes over the top of the heavy dynamite. The guy I was talking to did this in his shoebox ford and really rated it, ‘like driving a rolls Royce’ were his words. He used the thickest foam, and cut channels in it to run wiring.
The dynamite ‘lite’ on the other hand is rubbish for street cars if you are doing it for noise reduction, as it’s a race car product, designed to keep heat out, noise secondary. Non of its cheap tho.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I did a dynamat knockoff topped with the foil looking bubble wrap stuff. I'm sure the difference would be noticeable if I didn't have the exhaust dumped out the side. As far as heat goes, I would have to believe its much better. Unfortunately I have about 20 years between the before and after result. I really didn't like adding the weight of the dynamat but figured having better comfort for passengers would be a plus.

Clint

Well Known Member
What are you using for sound deadening and heat reduction, and how well is it working for you? Is one brand better than another, and how easy or difficult is it to install?
Thanks Junk
I researched this alot when I was building my 55 truck. What I found was that a product made by Noico to be better in my opinion than dynamat. It is a little thicker and they also sell a closed cell self adhesive foam to put on top of it.... It cost less than half of dynamat you can order it from Amazon.

Junky

Well Known Member
You want someone to buy it for you too Junky?????!!!!!!!! Maybe install it too!!!!!!!

Phil, that is mighty generous of you to offer. I greatly appreciate your offer, however, since social distancing will prevent me from delivering the car to you, would you mind having the car picked up, at your expense, in an enclosed trailer to be brought to you and you can do the work necessary and deliver the car back to me as soon as it is completed. I will need you to provide a detailed explanation of what you are going to be doing, along with certifications proving that you are competent to perform the work to Federally established guidelines. You will also have to supply me with a performance bond guaranteeing the work for a total of 10 years, and clearly state the pick up date, and return delivery date. Once you have all the paperwork in order, please submit to my attorney for his review. In the meantime, I would like it if you were to submit the material of your choice to an independent testing laboratory for performance testing.
Please stay safe, wash your hands regularly, wear a mask and gloves whenever you go out. Be careful, it is dangerous out there..

Junky

Well Known Member
WILLIAMSON COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) – A trailer full of antique cars caught fire on Interstate 65 Monday afternoon, destroying or damaging each one.
It happened around 4:30 p.m. in northbound lanes. It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the fire.................................
Passport Transport.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have used the peel and seal foil backed roofing in a few cars, but they were roadsters. Not sure if there us any out gas or not. :dunno2
The one car sat in my basement for a long period of time with no smell but wasn't out in the sun.