Dynamat

Junky

Well Known Member
I am sitting on the fence trying to decide if it is worth the effort to install Dynamat on the floor of my wagon. If I am going to do it, now will be the time, so help me with your experiences.... is it worth the cost and effort? Does it actually make the car cooler, and how about quieter? Pictures would be great also. Thanks Junky

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Buddy of mine did his 57 Handyman. Passenger area floors only. Not worth the effort especially on a wagon. Too much area back there that cant really be done and you have a loooong roof that is like a drum over your head. That stuff is expensive too.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used the Dynamat in my '56 straight axle gasser wagon. Not sure if it was actually Dynamat, but a very similar product. I did the passenger compartment floor and even the inside roof before the headliner went in. Mine came with a roller. Easy enough to install. I don't think it affected the fit of the carpet. Now, does it keep heat out and allow less noise inside??? I don't really know. I have noting to compare it to. Like a before and after. This car generates alot of heat and noise anyway. When I open up the headers, it's all a moot point. I suppose on a more normal car, it might help with these issues. I would use it again and actually I did. When I recently gutted the interior of my '71 GTO, I put some down on the floor pans and associated area's. Again, I have nothing to compare it against, but in my mind, I think it works. I do believe "Dynamat" is a brand. Shop around for a similar product that you'll find much cheaper. Sorry, I don't recall what I used, but I found it on line, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I was researching what to put in my car on the floor pans, I came across a thread someplace that mentioned a guy went to Lowes and found something suitable. Seems it was a roofing type product that had a stable tar on one side and the other side had aluminum foil. Claims it worked well. Actually, I went to Lowes and looked. Couldn't find what was described, Carmine.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The only problem with that is it smells like tar. When it's closed up in a car and it's 100 + outside you can't stand the smell.

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't know about Dynamat but I put a Lowes type hard foam insulation in the floor of a '63 Catalina which got water in the floor boards during the '17 Hurricane Harvey flood we had down here where we live. Fortunately the car did not get wet otherwise. No carpet had been installed. The stuff holds water and thus I had to tear/scrape it out. If it held that water it will hold anything else wet that somehow gets down there such as coffee, a soda pop, whatever. From now on I will only be putting down the old original hard rubber type stuff the factorys installed.