Dyno Dons 1962 Bel Air... please help his daughter Cindy, retrieve it

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The Car

Ken:

I have Leland's phone number on a card somewhere around here. He had the vehicle at the Muscle Car Reunion in St. Louis, MO in June (or whatever summer month that was this past year). Of course, he has his story as well. Seems dedicated to the spirit of Don Nicholson, wants the car to be seen by others. It appears he's not a rich guy who wanted some toy to brag about, rather an enthusiast who wanted the legend to carry on. That's the impression I got when talking to him. Given that there were lawyers involved, I suspect there may be three or even four sides to this saga :).

Sorry if I've offended any lawyers out there :). Or any close family members. Just trying to tell you what I've seen from my perspective, which is a hobbyist.

Cheers!
TomK

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks Tom:......... Situations like this can be very complicating..................Ken:scratch

paint helper 2

Here It Is Again...

For those of you interested, this car and trailer are back on E-bay for sale once more ,starting price is 160,000 .listing Leland as the seller.....:?

7d9_z28

Well Known Member
the current ebay listing states that he supposedly has the titles for the car and trailer...

jparello

Well Known Member
...just reading this.. pretty sad regardless of how you look at it that someone is basically going back and forth over this piece of 'property'. It's unfortunately, but law enforcement officials truly don't have any capability to settle this thing, and being one is probably difficult at best when it comes to people's emotions getting involved, and history being spilled.

Just going off of some of the previous posts, if this woman, Cindi, is the proper owner, why hasn't she filed a civil case regarding her rightful property? Something that may simply be taken care of in civil court--and won't cost an arm and a leg--but will require both persons to stand and tell the truth. I agree, that the owner of the title (the original--), is the rightful owner. But, there seems to be a line growing of people who will owe money to someone working backwards between this Leland fella, and Greg, and going back to Cindi for the claimed debt from 'storage fees'. I see that I may be bringing up an old thread by posting this, but does anyone know what ever happend to this issue? It was becoming an interesting read.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
TomK,
Very enlightening update. Was there any discussion about the original 62 Bel Air ? I'm trying to sift through some BS that someone told me about the original car. Don's mechanic, Earl Wade , was suppose to have called me a while back with some info on the car but I never heard from him.
Rusty
Any news on the whereabouts / owner / owners of Don's original 62 Bel Air ?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I remember meeting the guy from Salem, MO about ten years ago, he had the car at the KCIR track if I remember correctly. I have his business card somewhere. Haven't heard anything since then...

Added: I just reviewed this old thread and realized I had posted a decade ago with pics and some info I was told. I can't confirm anything, it's just what I was told and we all know how many sides there are to a story...

TomK

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Steve Eggert2:15 PM (14 minutes ago)
NO it was sold to some one on east coast From: Kurt Littlefield Sent: Thursda...

profile_mask2.png

Steve Eggert
2:18 PM (11 minutes ago)
to me

I will let cindy know you asked, still looking
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Kurt Littlefield <kurt@speedslip.com>
2:26 PM (3 minutes ago)
to Steve

Thanks Steve, yes, I can close the loop on some of the Chevy sites...

wristpin

Well Known Member
Whom ever has this car knows they have a famous car with serious legal issues. If they have a brain they would contact a lawyer to get their money back from the seller before they get discovered and lose the ability to recoup their money. They could CLAIM they were unaware but if that were the case...in my way of thinking...why would they NOT take it to car shows or have it photographed for national magazines or bond with other lovers of Dons car?!
My $0.02

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Surprised, That the car is not out of the county or parted out by now.
Looked it that car or a car said to be Don’s back at the first few Woodward Dream Cruises.
The car was in a closed off area the best I could get was about 10ft. to it.
Very difficult to get a photo of the engine bay, only one side & front.
Lost my photo’s with a computer cash.

Dave

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fun Fact:
I believe it is a felony to be in the possession of any motor vehicle part thst is either missing or altered. If someone pulled or changed the tag, they may have won 3 hots and a cot.
True but that would have to be "knowingly in the possession of...." They can just take it from whom ever has it and sell it off for scrap. The Iowa State Patrol does this to cars all of the time. If you leave your car along the highway and they tag it. If you don't get it before the tow it in 3 days, then it is state law that the car be auctioned off and can not be licensed in the state ever again. Good old Iowa and its out of touch laws.

wristpin

Well Known Member
True but that would have to be "knowingly in the possession of...." They can just take it from whom ever has it and sell it off for scrap. The Iowa State Patrol does this to cars all of the time. If you leave your car along the highway and they tag it. If you don't get it before the tow it in 3 days, then it is state law that the car be auctioned off and can not be licensed in the state ever again. Good old Iowa and its out of touch laws.
Good way to "steal" a car

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Good way to "steal" a car
I went to one of their auctions and about died. New cars that simply ran out of gas and the owners weren't smart enough to get the car moved right away lost their cars. Had a guy there to buy his car back but he couldn't even get it titled in the state again so I don't know what he was attempting to do since he wouldn't be able to get tags for it to drive on the road again. I called my dad and told him we needed to buy these cars up but if you can't title them again then you have to just part them out only. Might be able to sell them out of state maybe? Not sure.