Dyno Don's first trip to Detroit

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
This picture was taken in May, 1961, the first time Dyno appeared at the Detroit Dragway. He was match racing George Delorian who had a 61 Pontiac with, believe it or not, three on the tree. Dyno previously had been at some dragstrip in the south and had an accident towing up to Detroit. You can see tape on the roof area and the crunched fender/door. The picture is actually backwards if you look at the lettering on the door. Dyno won the first two races, but blew the rear end during the second. Since he had no help with him, several guys including myself who had been hanging around the car all afternoon, volunteered to push the car to a gas station about a quarter of a mile from the track so he could use the lift to R & R the rear end. After getting the car on the lift and removing the damaged third member, we cleaned out the debris from the housing while Dyno readied the new center section. About 45 minutes later we are all driving back to the track in a 61 409. This was my first trip to heaven and the day 09's became entwined in my brain. I felt like I was 50 feet off the ground. Dyno won the next round making it 3 for 3 against the Pontiac. After the last race, someone suggested we take a picture with Dyno, the car, and the rear end. That's me on the far right--I was fifteen years old.

Attachments

• autophoto.gif
    autophoto.gif
    72.9 KB · Views: 362

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
memories

Memories and pictures like this are priceless!!!! Glad someone suggested that you have a picture taken. Most times, this wasn't done!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
old

Geez...I almost wish I was an old guy too;)

Hee Hee! Yer gettin' there! So take some pictures already!

;) ;)

And yes, that was a great one!

Can I put it on my nostalgia page? (under construction).

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
movies

Aubrey, how did you get a movie on the net?

I have finally figured out pictures, but Movies???????????

Fred

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Great story Gerry, thanks for posting. Where in Detroit was Detroit Dragway located at the time? I'm guessing on the West side out around Telegraph somewhere, or over around Outer Drive on the east side around City Airport? I grew up in Ferndale, but never went to the drags at Detroit Dragway. A deprived childhood:cry
Thanks
Bubbletop

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Detroit Dragway was located on Sibley Rd. between Telegraph and Allen Rd. in Brownstown Twp. It closed about 5 years ago.

Gerry

Supporting Member 1
Blown rear end.

Fatride, Actually I don't think it is. After doing some recall (40 + years), I seem to remember Dyno only having a spare ring and pinion and not a complete third member. Possibly one one the guys in the picture borrowed a rear end for the picture?