Dyno time.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Almost 50HP with a cam swap Don:goodInterestingly, the top line is the 1 7/8" - 2" 3 1/2" collector Stahls, bottom line is the 2" Wilsons. Nothing wrong with the bigger Wilson header but the Stahls made nearly 20 more HP , probably relating to the head. Got any trees that need pulling out:brow

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Fitted a solid roller in the World/BMP 540, I think we might have found the limit of the Edelbrock head CNC program :look
Yes and that's at just over 6000.Itt also has a torque band that streches from last week to next month.He's right he''s run out of head,but it's only a pump gas street engine for crying out loud.
........ ok.......... schools in......... in simpleton terms, can u esplain how you know you’ve used up your heads capacity......... or should I just go lay down..!!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
..........:bore3........:pop............:crazy......... on the chart, it’s almost exactly the path just an increase from the previous run ....... I’m assuming with the “before” camshaft.......???

Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In a nut shell, air flow Keith. Both headers were tested on the same N/A engine.The Wilsons are nice, very well made and went up over 750hp but this particular engine responded to the Stahls for some reason. The generic 690/583 409 head/runner design is limited, however these Eddie heads must be flowing up around 350+ cfm though. Don Jacks? https://www.hotrod.com/articles/airflow-research-cylinder-power/

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool stuff. Congratulations!
As far as cfm and hp, those cfm to max hp estimates are way underrated. There so many variables they don’t consider. There are a lot of engines making 20 to 25 percent more hp than what those estimates would predict. I would guess your heads are in the 330 to 340 range. If you give me specs I can run it through pipe max. I need the info at the top of the page.

Attachments

• 6F812BE1-8348-40D5-A9D0-95857E488B15.jpeg
    6F812BE1-8348-40D5-A9D0-95857E488B15.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 19

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
An engine is an air pump.When it takes a certian flow both in and out to reach a certian number you will reach a point to which either the flow must be increased both in and out to increase the power or settle for what you.ve got.His engine is 540 cubic inches in size and peaking at a reletively slow 6000 with a decent cam,he's running out of flow.Next stop Z-12 heads and intake.A likely 125 hp increase with the same cam and compression

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
An engine is an air pump.When it takes a certian flow both in and out to reach a certian number you will reach a point to which either the flow must be increased both in and out to increase the power or settle for what you.ve got.His engine is 540 cubic inches in size and peaking at a reletively slow 6000 with a decent cam,he's running out of flow.Next stop Z-12 heads and intake.A likely 125 hp increase with the same cam and compression
Don, what program do you use to say 125?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
When I bought my heads from Bob in 2015 I watched them flowed on the machine. Can't find the paperwork right now. I do know that at .600 the CFM was 349. My cam was .617 and the work was done by CNC.

I had the heads worked over this winter again. Haven't been flowed yet....:flag

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
These heads have had the same Bossman program as yours Keith. :good The McQuillen intake must be a big factor as well.

A step up to the Z stuff will be on the cards for sure Don, not in this particular car though. The plan is to enjoy this thing for a while street/strip running easy 10.00's (that's my tech cut off) in our IHRA and ANDRA DYO 10.99-8.50 Super Sedan SS/A national championships, then it'll eventually become an iron block 409 street cruiser again. If I can save my pennies and save my dimes Dick Mackenzie will be getting a phone call:brow

Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, some details. The engine is only about 11.7 comp, the cam is nothing out of this world as we knew the head was limited, it turned out to be a pretty good combo.

Hopefully this info can help a fellow racer as we have Fords and Mopars to send packing!!:beer

The firing order is same as LS Chevy 18726543, 1.7 rocker ratio, BAM BB1 DLC pin solid rollers. The guys at DIAMOND, BULLET and BAM were very helpful and all are highly recommended:clap

Attachments

• Bullet cam card BMP block.jpg
    Bullet cam card BMP block.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: