Eagle Field Drags 2016

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Okay, I had a crappy race yesterday. After having the battery on the trickle charger all week and loading the car into the trailer Thursday I went to unload the car Saturday at the track and the battery was nearly dead. I jump started it and noticed my volt meter was not showing charging. I made the only time trial we were given due to the weather and late start and the car ran poorly. There is a battery vendor at the track so I drove over and he tested the charge and only 2 amps. Crap. Unhooked the trailer and drove into town to get a new alternator but nobody had what I needed. Crap. Went back and the car fired up. Good. Went to the lanes but still no charging on the volt meter. Dialed a 11.98 (ran 12.13 on the TT) but I was worried the car would not start and if I started it to soon it would get to hot for the run. Car fired and the temps got hotter than I normally like but made it to the line. Lost, broke out, 11.92 on my 11.98. Crap. Put it on the trailer, went home and ordered a new alternator. Hopefully I will be ready for next Saturday for the final race of my series. I have lost my last two elimination rounds by being to conservative. 11.93 and now 11.92. I will dial 11.91 next Saturday. LOL

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That sounds like my experience with starters lately. I am taking a spare next weekend.....

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Yup, alternator problems. My super summit racing alternator crapped out on me again as I was taking the car to the shop ( second summit alternator). It is still under warranty so I am sending it back for a refund. Going to install a late model AD Delco 3 wire (one for a corvette which puts out more amperage & hopefully will last me more than 1/2 a season).

Good luck on your races Paul, give them hell.

Joel

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
14556747_1168855216509818_5055522671078761673_o_zpsah7ig4xs.jpg

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
It was an ugly day with the weather but with the new alternator installed the car ran good but the times were slower due to a 20mph head wind and the temperatures in the low fifties. A win is a win and I finished 4th (out of 28) in the Hot Rod Nostalgia Series, Stick Shift class.

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I was there with Paul yesterday, congrats to him! I'm glad the guy I lost to in round one went on to win the day. I picked a heck of time to squeeze the tree (red light). He was running very consistent all day, deserved the win! I was not consistent, threw a hail mary on the starting line and paid the price. Paul is a great guy, got to make a lot of cool looking side by side runs with him this year.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Good job, Paul! Had a good day at Eagle Field, no mechanical issues at all. Traction was somewhat less than usual.

But, the evening festivities in the hangar included old cars, a jet fighter plane, guns and artillery of every type, a live band and a bar. What I like about Eagle, in addition to the people, is that it is the LEAST politically correct place I have been, at least in California. BTW Paul, several of our pit buddies asked about you Oregon guys. For some reason, they want you back. I made up some good cover stories, I just can't remember them. If the pics are any good, I will post a few.

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the great comments guys.
John we had some really good races this year. I hated that red bulb for you, I've been there many times and it's not fun. By the way John you tied for 6th in points, nice job. We will get the West Coast Shootout going for sure.
Dave, I like Eagle Field but it might be awhile before I go back, it's a long haul.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, I get it completely. But I am looking forward to the West Coast Shootout Revival, or whatever you decide to call it.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Information on Eagle Field race for 2017 is out. Mid May I believe. Don't believe I will be going this year. Plan on doing some racing at RMR before I start travelling to events.

Joel