Early 1964 409 pulleys

Jridge1

Well Known Member
I have a qc 409 the car has original ac and power steering. It has a dual deep groove crank pulley but the power steering pulley doesn't seem to sit all the way back in the dual pulley. Seem to be where I get a squeal from.
What are the correct numbers for the crank, crank power steering, and water pump pulleys?
Thanks

gwagon

Well Known Member
I have a qc 409 the car has original ac and power steering. It has a dual deep groove crank pulley but the power steering pulley doesn't seem to sit all the way back in the dual pulley. Seem to be where I get a squeal from.
What are the correct numbers for the crank, crank power steering, and water pump pulleys?
Thanks
Pictures of pulleys on my 64 409 with air, power steering.
DSC01622.JPGDSC01623.JPGDSC01624.JPG

427John

Well Known Member
Jridge,you may have to shim some of your pulleys to get good alignment especially if your dual deep groove water pump pulley has the reinforcement plate that chevy started using around that time.Apparently there were some issues with some pulleys cracking and tearing out in the center and the reinforcement plate was a recall or tsb item,it can affect the alignment and require shimming the others to get perfect alignment.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Yes it does have the reinforcement shim. It is the right number pulleys from the parts book so I think you are right about the shims

Jridge1

Well Known Member
On that same motor the date code on the water pump is "conv4" anybody know what that means? It had an x on it similar to the block x the casing number is a 64 passenger

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Conv4 is not a date code it means it was cast on conveyor #4. Not all waterpump castings had dates.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Yes 3732750 right around the shaft of the pump. The conv4 is where the date code usually is and x is on the middle to drivers side of the pump. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As far as I know there was no definitive answer to what the x meant. It seems to have been used when castings were modified, improved, or the first run of a new metalurgical mix of the iron.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
I thought I read somewhere the x only appeared on 63 n 64 409 passenger car blocks. That's how the differentiated the truck blocks from car blocks? Not for sure though.