Early 1964 409 pulleys

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Pictures of pulleys on my 64 409 with air, power steering.
View attachment 62025View attachment 62026View attachment 62027

On the pulley gwagon posted.
I had to use the same pulley set up he has on my 62 SS 409 convertible that I added factory air to the car during the restoration
  • I could not use the factory deep groove water pump and crank pulleys or the deep groove Power steering pulley
  • I do not have numbers on the upper pulleys(triple non deep groove -2 pulleys) -I had them from years ago
  • My triple lower non deep groove lower pulleys were from show cars (2 pulleys)
  • I used a small block Power steering pulley
  • with these changes from the deep groove pulleys I got the belts to line up
  • I also had to try multiple Gates belts for the A/6 compressor and the PS pump and the 62 factory a/c alternator I am running. - I have all the part numbers of the Gates belts in different lengths that could fit.
  • I had pictures of a original 63 Chevy 409 wagon with factory pulleys that I used as a guide (+ I think gwagon sent me his pictures)
Here is the 63 Chevy factory A/C 409 wagon (340 HP) that I saw at Meccum Indy in 2013
DSCN8399.JPGDSCN8400.JPG

Paul

Jridge1

Well Known Member
I looked up the belt routing and part numbers in the assembly manual and the reason the crank pulley didn't match is because the number in the book is an assembled number. The water pump pulley is a deep groove 3851309 which is an assembly number also because it is two sheeves pressed on and spot welded in two spots on the front. The crank pulley is 3851310 which the first part is a dual deep groove assembly 3766987 which consist of two sheeves pressed on with two spot welds just like the water pump pulley. Then the power steering pump pulley fits into the above mentioned crank pulley. The problem of the alignment was fixed by the reinforcement shim on the water pump pulley. Now the ac water pump and power steering line up perfectly