Early factory G.M. Aluminum small block heads

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I found a small block chev with a thin balancer and what appears to be factory aluminum heads. They were rounded like a factory g.m. head on the ends, and I can't recall if there were accessory mounting bolts in the heads or not. I am thinking not. I have read about a 283/315 horse motor that got aluminum heads for a short time, but had porosity issues. I could not find a casting number, or picture of them. Can anybody help me out? I am going to try to look at it again, and if it looks like factory heads, buy it. Any estimate on value of heads if they are the early aluminum g.m. heads? I also dont recall if it was a single quad or dual quad motor. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
You're welcome.

There is a conflict of opinion by "experts" about the aluminum heads. That is...if any factory built 1960 Corvettes with the aluminum heads were actually released to the public.

Richard

Last edited:

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Any estimate on value? What should I pay for the complete engine if they are the aluminum heads? It is/was a running engine and stored for years.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Any guesses? I will try to get ahold of the fella tomorrow. Not sure what to offer.:dunno

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I were looking at it, I would need to be positive of what they are. They could be an early aftermarket head. If its GM, it will in all likelihood have a part number or at the least a date code. As for value, you would have to ask the corvette guys. They would be the only ones with any interest in them.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
Suffix code on the original 1960 F.i. engine blocks.

Aluminum head F.I. 275 horse (hyd lifter cam) suffix code CY
Aluminum head F.I. 315 horse (solid lifter cam) suffix code CZ

iron head 1960 F.I.

250 horse (hyd lifter cam) suffix code CR
290 horse (solid lfter) suffix code CS

Info from gmheritagecenter.com

Richard

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Podell (FI guy)had a pair of those heads NOS and he wanted $30k for them……needless to say I don't think they sold.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
If these are G.M. heads, they would be a bit cheaper than that. Still waiting on the call. :bore3

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Fella hurt himself, and have not heard from him since. I don't want to pester him, but I will have to call him. The engine the heads are on was a running engine, that hurt a piston. Still ran, but made noise. I hate the waiting game.:bore4