Early factory G.M. Aluminum small block heads

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The first factory aluminum heads for the Chev.small block appeared in the 1961 315 hp 283 Corvette. Porisity problems caused most of them t o be recalled.Very few survived making them "rare as unto hens teeth".The authors that you're referring to don't know their butts from a hole in the ground wristpin.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The first factory aluminum heads for the Chev.small block appeared in the 1961 315 hp 283 Corvette. Porisity problems caused most of them t o be recalled.Very few survived making them "rare as unto hens teeth".The authors that you're referring to don't know their butts from a hole in the ground wristpin.

They also write for CNN

wristpin

Well Known Member
.....or are these aluminum 461x heads a Unicorn? Someone thinks they saw one who told some one who told someone else.
Im NOT SAYING they dont exist. What i have found in a few books and online is the 461x heads were produced 1960-1964. But every picture of the 461x heads is cast iron. I hope some are still around and I for one would like seeing a set with my own eyes.
Anyone have pics of an aluminum 461x head?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The 61 315 horse was rated 25 hp higher than eariler engines of the same displacements.I think that they all[solid lifter,high compression,fuel injection Corvette]were the same except for the heads.The addition of the 461x's would make sense as to why the improvement.I've never seen the 61 alloy head nor do I know about the specs.,but if these heads are what Brian thinks they are we'll all see pictures soon enough.Patience Grasshopper.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Originally the aluminum small block was cast for the CERV 1. The experimental research vehicle Zora had developed. Mine is one of the spare block and heads cast for it.

I’ve posted before I knew a guy that worked for Jim Hall, he had an aluminum 265 in his 56, GM sent to Hall.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian and I spoke the other day.It turns out that the heads he mentioned weren't the "unicorn' 61 heads but that they were the 86 Corvette heads that had been modified to accept the early valve covers.He wisely passed on that deal.