Early Pontiac valve cover "Canadian" staggered mounting holes

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Staggered holes ended mid 59 in us production I think, in Canada it may have lasted a bit longer. The embossed covers were from 55 Canadian pontiacs to not sure when. I have a set from a 62, they have a factory decal Pontiac on them.

The 55-6, maybe 57 I’ve seen were green in Pontiacs, those may be 58 or later I’m guessing.

Reactions: Tim

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That’s cool stuff, I had no idea that Chevy motors were put into Pontiacs in Canada back in the day until I saw it here. Did a Pontiac Motor ever go in a Pontiac at some time. That cover looks like a 283 chevy. I have seen that the 409 went into Canadian Pontiacs on here.

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
GM of Canada figured that it was less expensive to paint the engines a color other than orange for the Pontiac, then it was to import additional engines. I once owned a 1967 Canadian Pontiac with a engine painted turquoise. Just don't remember which Chevy engine it had. It was a Canadian Bonneville that was somewhat smaller than the US based Bonneville, but similiar in size to the US Pontiac Catalina. It was well optioned, and I only wished that I had kept it after I repaired it. It was a mild hit in the rear, and the insurance company totalled the car rather than having to tow it back to Canada for repairs. I had to have a friend buy some of the exterior trim parts in Canada, and he met me over the Peace Bridge on the US side with the parts.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Pretty sure we still had the staggered holes on the 283 SBC in 62. probably GM getting rid of obsolete heads, GM rated the 283 as 170HP up until 62
here. I think the 327 was an option in 63 and onwards.

Reactions: Tim

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pretty sure we still had the staggered holes on the 283 SBC in 62. probably GM getting rid of obsolete heads, GM rated the 283 as 170HP up until 62

About to say 55-59 but then realized you're down under or there abouts

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We got a 327 in 62, the car you had junk was likely a Parisienne which could have had a 283, 327, 396, or 427 in 67.

US Pontiac engines arrived first in the 70’s in full size, firebird and the Monte Carlo size Pontiacs had Pontiac engines when they arrived in Canada.

Junky

Well Known Member
You are correct Don... That was a long time ago. I would love to have that car back today. Probably it has gone to Japan a few times and came back as a rice burner each time. I always thought the Canadian cars were better looking then the US counterparts.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey Grub, How are things for you guys?
In New Zealand we didnt get a 327 until 65. Our Impalas were what would have been a Belair in the USA
All pontiacs comming into NZ were 283 in the early 60s we had Pontiac Laurentians .

Steve