Ebay alternative

bobs409

Administrator
Looks like it only has a handful of items. :dunno Date at bottom is 2006 so maybe this is a flop from years ago?

The first thing I do when I find a site for selling or buying, is type "Chevy" into the search. The results tells me if it's worth checking out from there.

In this case, there was nothing. I looked in the classic cars section and there aren't even any amercian cars listed for categories. :dunno

Bob

bobs409

Administrator
Auctiva stores coming soon

Here's something that might be a hit. Auctiva is starting up stores for those that want to get away from ebay.

http://www.auctivacommerce.com/pricing.aspx

Auctiva had free services that you could include with your ebay items but with ebay's changing policys, I think they were phasing them out. What does Auctiva do? Starts up stores to fix ebays red wagon. (at least, this is the general jist of what I read, I could be wrong) In any case, I like it. Anything that shows ebay they aren't GOD is alright by me.

The only problem for me is I have 3 stores going now! :eek: It's hard to keep up with all of them. When something sells in one, I have to remember to remove it from the other 2. (I forgot once and sold the same items twice! :doh )

I hope they are successful but we'll see...

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Did you know?

From Wikipedia (unverified source, but possibly accurate):

On August 13, 2004, Newmark announced on his blog that auction giant eBay had purchased a 25% stake in the company from a former principal. Some fans of Craigslist have expressed concern that this development will affect the site's longtime non-commercial nature, but it remains to be seen what ramifications the change will actually have. As of July 2008[update], there have been no substantive changes to the usefulness or non-advertising nature of the site (still no banner ads, still only charging for a few services to businesses).

In April 2008, eBay announced it was suing Craigslist to "safeguard its four-year financial investment." eBay claimed that in January 2008, Craigslist executives took actions that "unfairly diluted eBay's economic interest by more than 10%."[19] In response, Craigslist filed a countersuit against eBay in May 2008 "to remedy the substantial and ongoing harm to fair competition" that Craigslist claims is constituted by eBay's actions as Craigslist shareholders.[20]

Funny coincidental aside: The founder of Craigslist, Craig Newmark, and I went to college together, although we never interacted. Craig got his BS from Case Western University around 1974 and his Master's degree around 1976. I received my undergraduate degree from CWRU in 1973 and the Ph.D. in 1978. Not sure, but since we were in the same academic unit while in school, we might have been in some classes together...

Cheers!
TomK

62ImpalaSS

Well Known Member
:scratchI picked up the web link from the Team Impala site. Did not spend a lot of time looking at the auctions. I just know that a lot of you guys are looking for a getter way to sell. I am surprised that with all of the various hotrod and car forums out there that someone has not started a car only related auction site. If I had the technical know how I would think about doing that. :scratch

bobs409

Administrator
Actually, there are alot of little sites but they are useless. What we need is one BIG one that gets traffic & buyers.

Would take mega bucks to get it going as you would need to advertise the bejesus out of it. TV ads, newspaper, etc.

Bob