Eddy heads?

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hy gents,
Since I’ve been up to my ears in heads lately...how come I don’t see Lots of comments about Eddie heads? When you think about it they are probably not a lot more money than a complete cast iron redo. I understand the nostalgia aspect, but still curious.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was talked into them when my machinist told me what it would cost to rework my 817's. I believe they were ~$1600 with racer discount shipped. Someone on here posted pics of a set of Eddys that had been painted orange with the lettering filled in. Kinda wish I would have done that, just couldn't bring myself to it.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If I'm starting with a bare block or a shortblock,and having to get heads,big port heads that is,then I'm going to,in most cases spend at least 1500 dollars,and more likely closer to 2 grand for a set of 690 or 583 CORES.Then I've got to spend more money on things like valve guides,valves,springs,seals and the necessary machine work.This can exceed the price of the Eddies or Wallas,and the alloy heads are 65 lbs lighter than that old stuff.Unless you got a basicly complete longblock to start with,are building a " numbers correct" engine for a show type vehicle,or just "have to have" the factory castings for personal reasons,the aftermarket heads make much more sense to me.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well I've been told that the Walla heads that we had pocket ported didn't flow as well as The Fddys by 2 very reliable sources.That being said,Plum Crazy's hyd.roller,Walla headed,Mcquillian manifold equipped 476 street motor made 558 hp@5500,613 ft.lbs of torque@4100 ,so I'd say they aren't too bad.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well I've been told that the Walla heads that we had pocket ported didn't flow as well as The Fddys by 2 very reliable sources.That being said,Plum Crazy's hyd.roller,Walla headed,Mcquillian manifold equipped 476 street motor made 558 hp@5500,613 ft.lbs of torque@4100 ,so I'd say they aren't too bad.

Don, I thought Bossman's cnc program doing the Eddie's was somewhat less than Bob's if I recall correctly.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Different levels of porting,different flow benches and a few other things could make up those differences.If you buy ANY aftermarket head assembly,you'd better spend the time to leak check the valve job,and check things like spring pressure and height before they're put on your engine. Bob Wallas will allow you to have a bit more compression than the Edelbrocks will,but ,properly prepared,either one will run really well.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sara says I can have anything I can afford and I haven't won the lotto yet. If I really want something she normally says things like "Great, you get an engine part and I get a basement under our 1920's house". After I did some research it seems like a fair trade to me.:read With some planning and careful wording I have talked her into making our garage 4 times as big (2500 sqft') so we can "have a place to stay while the house is raised in the air". When what I really want is a huge shop with central air and heat with sleeping quarters, kitchen and bath. :D Beat that! We break ground in the spring.:winner