Edelbrock interested

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I talked to Smitty Smith, Technical sales Coordinator for Edelbrock, Saturday at Drag Expo in St. Charles IL. He says they are interested in producing a Performer type head in aluminum for the 348-409, but they are not sure of the interest and if they could sell enough. I told him that right now a lot of truck 348-409 engines are being resurected and they all need head manifold combos. I emailed him this morning and mentioned to him to think about a waterpump at a reasonable price to check out the interest there is. I asked him if he needed more input and if so I would post his email on-line. If anybody out there has some points to make, let me know as I will be in touch with him in the future.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Given the increased popularity of these engines, not just with the '58-64 crowds, but with the street/hot rod crowds as well, it seems to me like it'd be worthwhile to look into resurrecting some of the old speed equipment (in addition to making some new). I'd sure like to have an Edelbrock 4x2 intake like what was made "back in the day". An aluminum 3x2 intake would be nice, too.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I think that an aluminum 3x2, and a Performer RPM or Air Gap style aluminum single 4v manifold would be well received. The Offenhauser 2x4 for the lopo heads is still available so there may be less of a market there, but the Hipo version may have demand. Performer Aluminum Heads...where do we sign up?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
more feedback

I have asked him if they want interested feedback. If so, I will post the email address for it. He will not be back to CA till Tuesday and will then hopefully get back to me.

Just two things to remember, and never forget, when attempting to get DeadBroke to do anything, GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THESE ENGINES TO DO THE ACTUAL DESIGN, beause the crack design staff there WILL make it the easiest way there is to "get 'em done and for sale as fast as possible". They do that EVERY time, and if you don't believe it, just take a look at a FredDread Pontiac head, they are a dead ringer for a head that needs over $3,000 worth of port work per pair, to be simply mediocre, because Edelbrock listened to only ONE very dubious person, stars lazer beaming from his eyes, and all he saw was the word "aluminum".

Next, get LaMarr into it, and other knowledgeable W engine people, and INSIST on the heads and makifolds be an update of the Z11 stuff, and a second set like the high port 425 horse top ends.

If you all leave it to Edelbrock, they WILL mess it all up and insist on the wrong configurations, as they always seem to do.

Don't rush into all this, tread slowly and very, very carefully.

If it were me, I'd go to Weiand long before 'Ol Vic and his "fun team".

eric

I too would be interested in all the above. In the past, i've read on this forum about someone being very close to producing aluminum heads for sale, what's up with this?

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I am also very interested in an up to date 4V aluminum intake manifold for the low performance heads. I have been in contact several times with a guy in the technical department at Edelbrock. He has submitted a formal request on my behalf for the company to consider producing an intake for the 348-409 engines. I believe that a new aluminum heads and matching intake is in process.

TomO

BB1960

Well Known Member
Some decent heads would be nice, I was under the impression someone about the forums was designing and building some heads though.........

As for manifolds, the 3X2 manifold in alluminium would be nice.........

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On a related subject......... Offys intakes are available for $285 from what I understand. So how come one sold for $413 a few days ago on e-bay? Is this because of a shortage or what? I dont need one, just curious.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
YES guys, Rich is still in the process of doing a up-graded alum 690 head and intake.
He does not have the resorces of Edelbrock but I can tell you first hand that Rich`s heads will OUT PERFORM aything that Edel would do !
Rich IS a 409 guy and designer/pattern worker. He also has Tony Shaffer helping with the mods to the casting and final machining.
His new heads went to the machine shop a few months ago and should be done in short time.
I know,, you have heard this before but I can reasure you that the extra time will be well worth the wait!
I`ll be having a chat and chew with Rich sometime very soon and will get him to post here whats going on and some time lines. ,,,dq

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
not 690

Edelbrock is not talking 690 kind of head. They are talking Performer/RPM type of head. In the gist of things the 690 head falls into the Victor or Victor Jr. type of head. Street performance at a hot rod price would be nice. They are aware of what heads are made and in the works. Smitty knows Lamar Walden and the Z11 heads he machines. Sure they don't want to step on toes.

CRW 409

690 aluminum heads

Rich Rojeski here Home of C.R.W. ind.
I am the one who made all the tooling for the Z-11 heads for Lamar.
He and I are still making these heads and intakes avaiable.
I don't know if edlebrock is really thinking of making any 409 parts.
But one thing I do know is that we have already made everything necessary
to make new 690 aluminum heads and intake to match including a top plate that lets you youse it as a 2x4 intake or set up for blower.
Tony Shaffer and myself have designed and have already cast everything.
It will all be tested at Tony 's shop in K.C.
All sales will be handled by Vince Chiappardi in California.
Sorry all this info took so long to get back to you.
Jim Martello has been letting you know as much as he could.
Thanks Jim for all you help in beleiving in our project.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I met Rich, (the guy that's working on the aluminum heads) at the 348/409 convention. He's a good guy and he's put a lot of time, money and effort into getting these new heads out. So, while I think it's great that Edelbrock is interested in building heads I can't help wondering how this would affect the sales of Rich's heads.
From what I understand Rich is building a head that's compatible with high performance 409 parts. (690/583 style heads) That would be great, especially if they can increase the flow. Even with porting the factory 690/583's only flow about 285 cfm. That's not bad until you try to compare it to something like the new LS7 small block. It flows 384 with a 2.10" valve!:eek: The 690 heads were great by 1962 standards but I bet they can be improved quite a bit. Personally, the heads I'd really like to see would be more like the Z-11 heads. The raised ports would certainly flow better than the 690 style heads. The problem with Z-11 heads is that you'd also need a Z-11 style manifold. That might drive the price up out of the reach of most hot rodders. But I still think that would be the ultimate setup.
I think Rich is also working on a manifold. We need a better manifold for the high perf. heads. The factory manifolds are absolute crap!:evil I'm planing on making a home made tunnel ram and it ain't gonna be pretty. Maybe, if there's an alternative I can save myself a bunch of work.
I think Edelbrock could make a good set of heads if they did the proper r&d but I think the IgnitionMan's right about the Pontiac heads. I remember a series of articles where they built a bunch of big blocks with similar equipment and cams. The Pontiac with Edelbrock heads made the least power and if I'm not mistaken it required special headers because of the altered exhaust ports. But if they built something that works as well as the Performer RPM stuff they build for the big and smallblock Chevy's, that would be great. Of course if Edelbrock decided to build a set of heads the hot rod magazines would be tripping over themselves to do build ups and dyno testing. Then all the truck blocks would get bought up and the prices would soar.:grumble:
I think the 348/409 is a great engine and I'd love to see reasonably priced heads and intakes become available.:deal

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Rich, You must have posted while I was busy typing my long winded post.:D
It's nice to hear you're building a manifold that will take two carbs. (real engines need at least two carbs) I can't wait to see it!:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The manifold that Rich is coming out with is simular to an air gap type intake.
I`ve seen this manifold and can say that we all will be very happy with it !!

I have a couple pictures of the manifold it was developed from before Rich narrowed the runners to use with the 690 heads and also he raised the plenum floor.
This should be one screamin` intake !!,,,dq

Attachments

• intake best post.jpg
    intake best post.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 133
  • intake runner post.jpg
    intake runner post.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 113

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just having a head made from aluminum that has the same flow #s as a 690 would be a step forward, and a big deal!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That's a great looking intake. I know used 09 dual quad intakes go for $ 200.00 + I can't begin to think what the price of that manifold will go for. It will probably be a racers only setup. More companies should get involved to make parts for these engines. With their popularity on the rise, it would benefit us all. Remember the Edelbrock finned aluminum valve covers for the 348/409 engines? They were really nice. Probably can't get them anymore. It would be nice if Edelbrock would make them again.:clap Skip

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Skip, You can still get the Moon finned valve covers and that manifold of Rich`s should work great on a good running 09. I think he said it would be in the $1000 range,dq

Daddys409Belair

Supporting Member 1
I'm with you guys - I WISH that these parts were available.....for a decent price like big or small block chevys.

I've got a feeling that unless there's a huge demand for them, that only the race car boys will buy them, leaving us 'regular' enthusiasts in the cold. I can't wait for the sticker shock! :bang