Edelbrock speaks

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I asked Smitty how far away the 348/409 heads, intakes and Valve covers were.

This is his email reply.

Mike,

Not too distant. As you know we have our 348/409 "W" water pump # 8858, which we've sold every one we make (over 100 so far). And we will be introducing at the SEMA Show # 60809 348/409 Bare Head & # 60819 348/409 Complete Head along with TWO Intakes; # 5408 Perf RPM Dual-Quad 348/409 Sm Port & # 5409 Perf RPM Dual-Quad 348/409 Lg Port. Also we are bringing back our Classic Finned Valve Covers # 4140. We have been receiving orders for all of the above, and all looks goods for the beginning of 2008. You can spread the word, and thanks for your interest in our products.

Sincerely,
Smitty Smith
Technical Sales Coordinator
Edelbrock Corporation
2700 California Street
Torrance, CA 90503

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Woo Hoo!!!:clap About time people stop and admire the engines that were there when the horsepower craze first started.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
new manifolds

Here's hoping that someone who attends the show can post some pictures. Really looking forward to seeing the new manifolds.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
small port 1x4

I agree, Aubrey. I could use three manifolds like that, right now, if I could get them!

LongIsland63SS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with Aubrey.

A single high rise would be great in a small port.

The email from the tech does not say if the new heads are small port or large port?

Mike

mac1

Well Known Member
The email from the tech does not say if the new heads are small port or large port?

Mike

I asked an Edelbrock rep at the Cruzin for a Cure show in So Cal last week about 348/409 stuff and he told me they were making the small AND large port heads, along with the intakes and valve covers mentioned above. He said they would be out early next year. Don't know how accurate this is, but he seemed to be up to snuff on W stuff.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
Bobs heads

Well, I dont know about Edelbrock but from what I saw of Bob's heads in Joliet last weekend,/ I was REALLY impressed with the flexibility and engineering that Bob has incorporated in his heads. He was in the swap meet at the Goodguys show and we had a great talk, and like I said his parts look really GREAT.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I asked an Edelbrock rep at the Cruzin for a Cure show in So Cal last week about 348/409 stuff and he told me they were making the small AND large port heads, along with the intakes and valve covers mentioned above. He said they would be out early next year. Don't know how accurate this is, but he seemed to be up to snuff on W stuff.

I was just going to comment on this, when I read your post. I was going to say that if they're building small and large port intakes you would think they would make both heads. Which is what your conversation confirms.
Hopefully they make the small port heads with valve spacing that allows them to be installed on a 348, that should be a pretty good seller!

Why small port heads ???????
JMHO.... but what a waste of #$%&ing time. There are thousands upon thousands of 333 / 379 ect heads out there, for no more than $300 a pair.
Make a proper single 4bbl high perf intake for these heads, and they'll sell 30 a month.
And WHY only multi carb intakes ? So they can sell more of their piece-of-$#!% carbs ?:dunno

sorry... it's getting frustrating:bang

:coffee:

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Big port heads on a 348

I know we discussed this a while back and I thought that a member (Aubrey maybe?) mocked up a 690 head on a 348 block and reported that there was adequate clearance for over .600 lift. If my memory is correct, then a small port head for 4 figures doesn't make sense when cheap and plentiful OEM heads can be modified. Just give us a good Performer RPM style 1 x 4 intake for the small port heads.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Never a waste of time

No way Edelbrock gets into a new product line just for the fun of doing so, or to please such a small segment of the automotive speciality market.

Everything that they do is very well thought out, because everything that they do is about money. They aren't competing World Products to loose market share.

Edelbrock is a serious business and they really could care less about how many 50 year old cast iron small port OE heads are out there. It's all about how many brand new aluminum heads they can sell to bolster their bottom line.

I still have my doubts that these will ever see the light of day as production pieces, but I hope that I'm wrong.

If these babies are priced properly , and they will be because Walla simply can't compete in economies of scale with Edelbrock, I'm buying a pair the next day.

Bob Walla had all of this support from so many members here, How many pairs did he sell???

$2500 a pair unfinished ain't cheap. They are great if your pockets are deep enough, but most of these "supporters" didn't or couldn't put their money where their mouth is to buy enough of them to make them worth Walla's effort.

We'll see how this unfolds

Rock :cool:

oil4kids

Well Known Member
With some reservation to 1958 Delivery, I have confirmed email who works closely with them , that Edelbrock is copying the 690/583 style head, which means the same old thin factory style combustion floor which means no 13.5 compression for real racing esp since the head is aluminum

Hopefully Edlebrock will address this problem

there are plenty of door stop 690 and z11 heads from combustion area pushed up into the water jackets that welding cannot fix

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I agree with Aubrey. I'd like to see Edelbrock do a large port single four intake manifold. I would replace the two Afb's for a 950 Holley. It wouldn't have that WOW factor, but I bet It would run alot better. Just my opinion. Can't wait to see those valve covers.:clap Skip:)

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why small port heads ???????
JMHO.... but what a waste of #$%&ing time. There are thousands upon thousands of 333 / 379 ect heads out there, for no more than $300 a pair.
Make a proper single 4bbl high perf intake for these heads, and they'll sell 30 a month.
And WHY only multi carb intakes ? So they can sell more of their piece-of-$#!% carbs ?:dunno

sorry... it's getting frustrating:bang

:coffee:

You're obviously not a "show" car kind of guy. Just having the parts out of aluminum instead of iron is well worth the expense. It's about look not function. Same thing with the intakes, 2x4 is the "look" couldn't care less about function.