Electric Fuel Pump

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am a member of a small volunteer fire dept, we have a 1985 Chev C30 4WD dually with a 454 and a quadrajet. If it sits a while, it takes a while to start, I assume the gas is evaporating out of the bowls. The members are used to fuel injection, not carbs, some of them think we need a new truck. It has about 4000 miles on it, so why spend the money?

How would an electric fuel pump work? Would it fill the bowls quickly? Just install one that works with the key, leave the mechanical pump working?

Electric pumps are foreign to me.

Thanks,

Don

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I left my mechanical pump on my car when I went electric. When I drive on the street I turn off the noisy electric. At the track i turn on the electric. You may need a regulator to control the pressure from the electric, but i'm sure it is just the ticket for your application.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just a few things to check before adding an electric pump. Are they pumping it once to set the choke? Is the choke closing all the way? Any possible air leaks (cracks) in the rubber hose on the suction side of the fuel pump?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Don,One of those small electric pumps[the little square ones] ,about 40 bucks at any parts house,will do you fine when used in conjunction with the mechanical pump.Just wire it to a switched position on the fuse block so that it's on when the ign is on.A lot of those pumps have a "safety " in them that eliminates fuel flow when the power is removed.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Another precaution would be to put a inline switch so it can be turned off after the engine is running.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
PictureKodak easy share photos 965.jpg PictureKodak easy share photos 965.jpg I use one Holley electric pump on my'57 for the street. When I had the race set up I ran 4 pumps in conjunction with each other. That gave me 9 lbs. of pressure at throttle.8,500 rpm was not an issue with that small block engine. I have to find a picture of the 4 pumps in the trunk and post it here.:eek
:crazy:happy:cheers

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Lunenburg 2-20120405-00243.jpg Ron, I do pump it once to set the choke, but it will wind for 20-30 seconds before starting. My 4GC was prone to this, if it sat for a week, it took a long while to start unless you dumped a bit in the carb. The Quick Fuel eliminated that in the 59, maybe a Quick Fuel in this would solve it, but how would an adapter for the intake work on the Quadrajet?

Sounds like an electric fuel pump would do the trick, I'd wire it off the key, but with a separate on off switch.

This thing likes gas, when loaded with water and doing 60-70MPH it burns about a quarter tank in 50 miles. Its a 4 speed with a granny gear and runs along great if you don't miss any gas stations. Our other truck is a 2007 GMC 4WD with an 8.1 gas and an Allison 6 speed and has a CAF system, compressed air foam. It runs along at 80 MPH likes its idling, works really good.

Thanks for the replies.

Don

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Don

Thanks to all the volunteer firemen out there. I used to be one. Today I can't believe all the training they have to do. Good luck with the pump.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
The Q jets acell pump is not much lower than the bowl and that small bowl evaporates quickly so probably the cause. An electric pump can prime it quickly, some you can pull through with teh mechanical some you can't. I think at one time I had a small AC Delco pusher pump on my TA when just adding a cam made it suck the Qjet dry at the top of second.