Electronic controlled Automatic Transmission 6L80e

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just had a buddy buy a 6L80e transmission to run in his classic car. He is going to run a paddle style shifter on it. Anyone running one of these in their classic car? Any thoughts?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice trans, stronger than a 700r4, and it will be nice once he gets a stand alone controller and gets it set up with the paddle shifters. However I prefer the simplicity of and non computer controlled shift, and of running my lockup with a pressure switch off 4th gear in the valve body and a simple 12 volt source from the break light switch. But I am living in the past, so what do I know. Sounds cool.

wristpin

Well Known Member
I believe one of our members set one up. Want me to check what stand alone system he set up. He hasnt been on here lately

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice trans, stronger than a 700r4, and it will be nice once he gets a stand alone controller and gets it set up with the paddle shifters. However I prefer the simplicity of and non computer controlled shift, and of running my lockup with a pressure switch off 4th gear in the valve body and a simple 12 volt source from the break light switch. But I am living in the past, so what do I know. Sounds cool.
I've been looking around on here and it seems like we are all living in the past. Lol! I'd figure out a way to make it shift from the floor.

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Will a 6L80 bolt up to a 348/409? Currently running a 700R4 behind a 474(originally had a 348 when the trans was swapped) and am questioning the durability of the trans as I add power.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That trans will not bolt up without mods to flexplate,crank hub,ect. and will require electronic mods.Not worth it,imo.The 700r4can be built to handle the 474[Fatrides 60 has been running one for years without issues].If you need more,then the 4l80 would be a good choice,besides,what do you need TWO overdrive ratios for anyway?

hot_rod_hooligans

Well Known Member
Long term goal is to swap in a Roadster Shop chassis, so I guess fitment issues aren't a huge deal. I didn't think the 6L80 would work, but I had to ask since this guy brought it up. I hadn't thought about the TH350/TH400 with an overdrive, might still look into that. I did wonder about the 4L80 since it came behind the MK IV 454, but haven't seen anyone who had done it, everyone I had seen went the 700R4 route.
I am toying with the idea of FiTech or Holley dual quad EFI, and I know some of Holleys stuff has provisions for GM transmission controllers(which I feel would be a huge improvement over the detent cable it currently has), so if the 4L80 will bolt up, it may be the choice to go with.

Last edited: