Embarrassed to ask...

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask but thought I'd put the pride aside to smooth things out down the road. Keep in mind I'm a newbie and know nothing about timing. But am trying to learn.

Take a look at the attached pic. Engine at TDC. Is the distributor installed properly/close for initial start-up? I was under the impression that I should be pointing towards the number 1 cylinder. Just can't get it to line up that way.

Thanks for any advice and patience you can give. Mark

Attachments

• 100_0161.jpg
    100_0161.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 145

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Install your plug wires on the cap such that number one lines up with the rotor. You may want to reorient the distributor so the rotor is positioned to make routing the #1 plug wire convenient.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Timing

You are very close. #1 plug wire is actually pointed to #2 cylinder. Rotate the motor until it is on about 10 degrees BTDC. Make sure it's on the compression stroke. Put the cap on, turn on the ignition, and rotate the distributor until the timing light flashes. Back and forth until you feel pretty sure you are close to the 10 degrees BTDC. Leave the distributor a little loose, and fire it up. Have your timing light hooked up and check the timing right away. Don't let it idle any more than you have to, to start with. Make sure the vacuum line to the distributor is unhooked and plugged. Should start right up if fuel is in the carb. If not, prime it a little. New motor shouldn't idle for the first 20 minutes. Keep RPMs up after you get timing set.

Good Luck

Fred

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
In relation to the vacuum advance can, it looks like you are close to # 1 in stock trim. Remember, you can position # 1 anywhere on the distributer cap as long as you keep it in the correct fireing order. To find #1 you have to bring the # 1 piston up to the compression stroke. # 1 piston is located on the left front of the engine spark plug as you are sitting in the driver seat. rotate engine untill you see the timing mark align with 0 on the pointer and you feel your finger being blown out of # 1 plug hole. ( don't know of a better way of explaining this!) Turn engine over a number of times untill you get a feel for the compression stroke. This will be where # 1 will fire and will be where # 1 will be in the fireing order on the distributor cap. In general terms the vacuum can needs to be positioned with the nipple pointing at three O clock as you are sitting in the driver seat. This will position the distributor in the correct oiling position. I could be more clear if I weren't so bombed ! Between my post and Freds I hope this is clear.

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for all the help. I'm a bit aways from firing it up, hopefully soon though. It will definitely be at Clay City in June. Of course, I'm awfully tempted to fire it up just sitting on the frame as it is. At this point, it wouldn't take much at all to hook the rest of the wiring up and throw the radiator on. Anyway tonight I just wanted to install the distributor, wires, and get it close to where I needed to be. Sounds like I'm almost there and now have some guidance when the day finally comes to here this thing come to life. If there are any members living near VA that like to stop by, you're all invited when that day comes. Thanks again.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
what i did with the help of the folks here and a few old harley tricks.
is first i removed valve cover hand rolled motor over till the intake valve
opened then closed moved motor till i had 8 deg's set dist. marked dist. where
rotor was pointing then set cap. reinstalled valve cover, wired the plugs fired it up and fine timed the motor.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
To me it looks like your 1 tooth off your dist gear.Pull your dist up about 3 inchs and turn your rotor counter clockwize about 2 inches and drop your dist back in,spin engine till the oil pump shaft lines up with your dist.