Engine Popping after Simple Points Replacement went really bad

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
pertonix???? my 283 didn't run worth a f... till i put points and a different coil on it. it was coughing up the carb too.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m guessing that when you were not there they took it out and ran the crap out of it and probably bent a pushrod or busted a spring. Sometimes after they tune it up they take them out to see how they’re running and I’ll bet you that’s when the problem occurred and they’re not telling you about it. But all the other ideas are good. It wouldn’t be the first time somebody went on a test run and destroyed somebody’s dreams! Good luck and keep us posted, pictures are good too!:impatient:bore4:bore3

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I’m guessing that when you were not there they took it out and ran the crap out of it and probably bent a pushrod or busted a spring. Sometimes after they tune it up they take them out to see how they’re running and I’ll bet you that’s when the problem occurred and they’re not telling you about it. But all the other ideas are good. It wouldn’t be the first time somebody went on a test run and destroyed somebody’s dreams! Good luck and keep us posted, pictures are good too!:impatient:bore4:bore3
:yup

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's lost a cam.Time to tear it down.I know it's pricey but with the sorry quality of lifters being produced these days,an upgrade to hyd.roller would be worth strong consideration.Tom's right,now's the time to make it a better engine.This is the cause of your popping back thru the carb when number 8 wire is hooked up.I had 2 Pontiacs come in back in 78-79 that did the same thing,both had lost the cam/lifter.

Last edited:
I like the "glass half full" attitude Tom... Thanks! Does anyone know a good Engine guy in the Atlanta area... North of Atlanta preferred. I'd also like to find a good & trustworthy general mechanic that knows how to work on classic cars. I have a long list of things I'd like to do, starting with suspension (all still original) and maybe dual master cylinders w/ front discs for safety. I just don't have the time to do it myself anymore.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I like the "glass half full" attitude Tom... Thanks! Does anyone know a good Engine guy in the Atlanta area... North of Atlanta preferred. I'd also like to find a good & trustworthy general mechanic that knows how to work on classic cars. I have a long list of things I'd like to do, starting with suspension (all still original) and maybe dual master cylinders w/ front discs for safety. I just don't have the time to do it myself anymore.
Isn’t Doraville Georgia home of the late Lamar and his son Rob Walden......Quality 409 work not far from home
http://lwaengines.com/
21 minutes away according to the Internet

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It does indeed seem like quite the coincidence- it ran fine and had no “popping” when you brought it in for the ignition work, it started popping when they were done screwing with every ignition part that could be screwed with and nothing else. It sure seems like the solution should be in the ignition system and not elsewhere.

KISS. Kinda like seeing hoof prints - you probably want to look for horses and not zebras.

I have heard of arcing problems with the 6 and 8 plug wire routing, and would have looked there as a possibility.

I could not see the valve problem in the short video - which absolutely does not mean it isn’t there, just that without guidance and maybe a longer video, I could not see it. If those with far more experience see it, then it is there.

Just a bit more of my two cents - and you generally get what you pay for, right?

Good luck and hang on to your wallet.

Chip
63 425 hp

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Chip,Rewatch the video.Notice the amount of lift on the intake as it operates in comparrison to the exhaust lift.The exhaust is barely opening and the stock cam is designed to open further [by about .020] than the intake does.Of course I've seen this over my carrier so it was easy to spot.

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Isn’t Doraville Georgia home of the late Lamar and his son Rob Walden......Quality 409 work not far from home
http://lwaengines.com/
21 minutes away according to the Internet

Lamar and Rob rebuilt my motor. Quality work indeed but it does come at a pretty penny. Highly recommend if you can swing it. I certainly wish I had LWA do my my first rebuild which was done by a very respected local speed shop. Unfortunately, they apparently didn’t know jack about 409’s; the cam was shot after not all that many hours and years.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is a LOT of lift lost in that short of time to be just the cam. After the intake is off, you may find something else.
Yea, once they start to wipe, its like falling off a cliff. It happens fast and there's no way to stop it.

Bent pushrod or lifter not pumping up?
Could be, but if everything is tight, probably not a lifter or tube. Unless some one been in there and tightened things up. Could have even cause the wiped lobe.

I like the "glass half full" attitude Tom... Thanks!
Thats the way I get to build most of my stuff. :cool: No, really Teresa, it needs to be fixed:dunno2 and I can make it better.:brow:laugh4:weld:wax:burnout