Engine # vs car model

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
How did GM “marry” 63 cars to 63 motors? In my case my Biscayne was built in KC and the engine (409) is CFD..Tonawanda. It is a 63 engine.

El Rat

Well Known Member
6 cly vin...
My car has everything a 409 car would have. I’ve decided that you would have to have a lot of money and patience to convert this car to an 09. I’ve brought this up on the forum before. But since I’ve been in the hospital with no place to go I thought I’d ask again. My car has;
4 core radiator
Front stabilizer
Police / ambulance brakes
Large diameter fuel lines 3/8 and 5/16 return
Radio and ash tray delete
3:55 gear in a posi case
Rear sway bar with panard bar
63 409 and matching aluminum power glide

I think it would take a lot of time and money to swap all of this from a wrecked 09 car to a homely 6 cly biscuit. Me thinks som ting wong!
What say you?$

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The last time you posted a picture, at least I think it was yours, it didn't have a front sway bar which only 6 cylinder cars came without and a very easy thing for someone to miss.

In years past I did some correct clones, not 409 cars but ones that required different fuel lines, 12 bolt rears, 4 speed with unique crossmember etc Changed it all, and I wasn't the only one. Got lots of the hard to find parts on Hemmings. Not difficult at all

6 cylinder VIN, it's a 6 cylinder car

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Front stabilizer would require new lower control arms as as 6 cylinders and Z-11s came without the attachment point for the ends of the stab. bar. It's possible somebody went through the effort to do a correct 409 clone.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your VIN # is all 1's it was born a 6 cylinder if your VIN# is 1211 it came with a V8.
1963-chevrolet-biscayned.jpg

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This car was born a 6 cylinder, it has a 63 409, sway bars front and rear, 3/8 fuel lines etc. Back when I was building the 62 I was all about date code correct.

Now, I just enjoy driving them and hearing the 409 rumble as I go through the gears :drinking

1963-chevrolet-biscayne.jpg

El Rat

Well Known Member
Hi gents
Thanks everyone who took time to answer. See front sway bar and bras mounted tach.
Note: getting your heart shocked back in rhythm AFIB not so much fun!2DE147ED-CB80-42DB-94BC-FAD0A8D59E41.jpeg4E7327DA-7D1E-47B9-9D84-7F9BA3E38127.jpeg5CCF0E9F-C2C8-4EA3-B611-BB1453B33B6A.jpeg93460F83-7D47-48F5-AEF2-FDB741D7EEE3.jpegF7BEC701-06B9-40FB-8646-1C8D6FDD2577.jpegF4329AFC-A6E7-4D27-984D-F8AB777573B8.jpegDE15FDC5-5482-43C6-A9A1-B5DCB3A13A34.jpeg9FBCEB0D-A4E5-4D1D-870F-1F0FBAF3CD24.jpeg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lots of aftermarket parts. The front sway bar is too thick. I have 6 cars with factory sway bars and none look as beefy as yours. As far as I know there wasn't a factory rear sway bar and the brackets holding yours on are manufactured more recently and have standard grade 8 bolts you get at the hardware store. Clearly the sway bar connection brackets are to short. Fun restomod that should handle well. with all of the new parts.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bottom Line, I agree with our1962 if your car has a six cylinder VIN it was born a six cylinder and would be called a clone not an original #'s matching car. People have been counterfeiting high performance cars for a long time and are very good at it, Its no different than counterfeiting money, paintings or anything that has BIG value.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a correct JE, and had the correct powerglide in my impala and most of the 409 stuff that says it could be, however I am sure its not, however if I didn't say it, technically no one could say its not. But I know better, and I am ok with that. Just look at all those 69 427 vettes out there :D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a correct JE, and had the correct powerglide in my impala and most of the 409 stuff that says it could be, however I am sure its not, however if I didn't say it, technically no one could say its not. But I know better, and I am ok with that. Just look at all those 69 427 vettes out there :D
There is probably more 67 and 69 big block Corvettes out there than Chevrolet built back in the day. Lol

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Especially if your car has a 6 cylinder VIN

El Rat

Well Known Member
All the sway bar stuff has been corrected. I could care less about clone or no clone macht nix! I’ll never sell it or trade. I’ll be 75 in a couple days and my oldest son will have. He has been going to the races with me since he was 7. Hardware bolts are rarely grade 8. Every bolt in my ride is a grade 8 or Allen head cap screw. If any grade 5 bolts show up in one of my pics it’s because I haven’t “fixed “ it yet. Attached pic of an old race with oldest son looking on.
D0FD5593-32D4-4EEA-B257-D9A402437F4B.jpegJ

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Do you have the dash mounted tach? If you do, remove the tach and check the tach hole in the dash. If the edges are aittle rough and don't have that finished factory look it was probably added, mine was added and the hole on the dash looks like it.

This is very true. The factory tach dash insert shows a very definite factory finish. Also think it’s made with a screw tab on each side. Have a couple I could look at and also have the holy grail dash tach with factory air insert.

Fuzz

MAGA