Engine # vs car model

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
All the sway bar stuff has been corrected. I could care less about clone or no clone macht nix! I’ll never sell it or trade. I’ll be 75 in a couple days and my oldest son will have. He has been going to the races with me since he was 7. Hardware bolts are rarely grade 8. Every bolt in my ride is a grade 8 or Allen head cap screw. If any grade 5 bolts show up in one of my pics it’s because I haven’t “fixed “ it yet. Attached pic of an old race with oldest son looking on.
View attachment 80009J
I agree if you like it that all that matters, my car is a clone and I don't care because I never intend on selling it but passing it onto my son. I am building my car because it is what I want and don't want to hunt or pay for a true numbers matching car, the enjoyment is still the same. You still have something not many other people have and thats a 409 powered car, something most people would love to have. Enjoy that car while your still young and have the enthusiasm to do so. Being on this forum gives you the false belief that everyone has a 409 powered car but when you step out into the real world you find out its not so. Post more pictures of your racing days!!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Note:
You can tell anyone including prospective buyers that your clone is a number matching original. Not illegal! However the moment you put it on paper it can be prosecution time !!!

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
I guess I'll put my 2 cents in. The third digit on the vin plate gives the info you need. Odd number is a six cylinder, even number is a V-8.
That being said, having a car that was originally a six might be a blessing. A six was probably owned by an older person and was driven carefully and not abused. On the other hand a car born with a high horse 4 speed, was not treated as carefully. I bought a brand new chevelle with a 4 speed. At 18 years old I beat the snot out of it, till my license got suspended. :crazy