engine won't prime

dave62

Well Known Member
ok so here goes, I can't seem to get oil up to my drivers side head while priming my newly rebuilt engine with the priming tool. I am aware of the need for either the correct 409 priming tool or an old distributor to drive the oil pump. I chose to use a sbc priming tool that I had and modify it by machining a new sleeve for it that matches the distributor geometry including the 360 degree groove. I paid careful attention to the location of the new sleeve on the shaft including the all important groove for oil flow. While priming the engine I can get oil up to the passenger head in a few short minutes however I can't get oil up to the driver's side head even after a half hour of running the drill, on top of that I can feel that the lifters on that side have not seen much if any oil since they feel spongy (hydraulic lifters). There are no obvious sources of leaks or missing plugs on the block. I have kind of resigned myself to accepting the fact that I have either a missing soft plug behind the timing chain cover or even worse a incorrectly installed rear cam bearing blocking the oil path. I will try one more trick just to satisfy my curiosity and use a pressurized oil canister to see if that makes a difference, but it looks more and more likely it'll have to be torn down to figure out the problem. At least my engine builder has been very supportive and willing to do whatever it takes to make it right. The sad part is that the complete drivetrain is in the car and was only a few hours away from being fired up. Before I commit to taking many steps backwards does anyone have any other ideas, gimmicks, or prayers? that might be be worth trying. I know it's a long shot but I figured i'd ask.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Dave: What brand of cam are you using? Does your cam have a groove machined in the rear bearing journal? The rear cam bearing has a groove and so should the cam. Skip:)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sorry to hear that...

Dave:

Sorry to hear of your oiling problem. This is not something new to many of us.
Here are a couple of threads from the past that might help you get started in learning more about your situation:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3918&highlight=rear+bearing

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2996&highlight=rear+bearing

Good luck with the project, we hope to hear you tell us some good news, and of course we all hope you can hear that rumble of the mighty 409 soon :) :) :).

Best,
TomK

dave62

Well Known Member
I read those topics on this great forum, it's actually how I learned about the issue. I was just hoping that it might be something else. If it's caused by the cam not having a groove in the rear journal, I guess that might be an easier fix. Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Tom, I have no doubt I will get through this with the help of my builder who just happened to make an honest mistake. It's frustrating but mistakes happen. This engine project has been a long time in the making, looks like it'll just be a little longer.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Cam bearing holes

Sounds like the cam bearing holes might not be lined up correctly.Lots of shop install them as they would a SBC and end up missing one. I had to point out the holes to line up to the shop that installed mine even though they said they new how to do it.

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dave
I had a similar situation on my new motor. I solved the problem
by rotating the crank shaft every 90* for a couple of rotations
until oil started to make it's appearance at the rockers.
Yes the rear cam bearing does have three holes and
a groove and it has to be installed so that oil can feed these holes.