Et ----- Mph

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I need some help in figuring what is going on with my ET and MPH.

It seems that my ET is coming down but so is my MPH.

In looking at my time slips is seems I`m losing speed at the last several hundred feet or so. Is that right ?

I still haven`t had the opportunity to work on dialing in the carbs and such so everything is about the same on all three dates except adding the scoop after the first Woodburn times.

Also the third slip was in the evening and much cooler and better air.
Am I running too rich ?

these are with open headers and race mufflers as noted.

I picked these three slips because they seem to show the differences the best. ,,,dq

Third mufflers .........................second open headers ...............first mufflers
59748154.jpg

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
I think

I think you got too much gear. The 4.56's are running you at too high a rpm and the motor is nosing over.If my wagon ran the same 60 foot times you are it would be going 12.50's or 60's. I had 4.56's in the wagon once. When I first put the '09 in. It didn't take me long to realize they were to much.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dond, You think so ?
I know your wagon runs hard but what are you redlining at?
I figure I should at least be running close to what you are running.
I think it may be running lean on the top end.
Still looking for answers,,,,dq

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Dq,
Your can should be running way faster than my car. I don't even have roller lifters like you. I think you are losing some power in your turbo 400. They say they are notorious power hogs. Maybe in the converter not being matched with the cam. I don't have the AVS carbs that you do. We should phone one another sometime and chat about the difference in our cars. I know mine is way heavier than yours.

DQ: your mph vs ET sounds about right, MPH tells your horsepower. Throw out the Portland slips and go by the Woodburn (apples and apples). Look at your 60' times, 1.86 vs 1.98, if the 1.98 was a 1.86 the 13.04 would have been a 12.92, your ET is determined in part by the 60' time (the Portland 60' was a 1.80). My 60's don't vary by more than a couple of hundredths track to track. I'd work on your 60's and see what your ET's turn out to, obviously you can go a 1.86 at Woodburn, now do it consistantly.

Car #4762 did 14.46 @ 96, about right but a 2.21 short is off, should have been closer to 2.00 flat. Car #235 did 11.70 at 119 with a 1.82 short. This is WAY off, we go 11.60 @ 117 with a 1.65 short, 11.50 witha 1.62 short THEN 119, he's making horsepower but not putting it to the ground.

4.56 and nosing over. What are you turning thru the lights?, and what is the type/diameter or your rear tire?. We turn 6100 thru the lights with a 4.10 gear and 28" tire, with .56's we'd be turning 6500, what's your tire diameter vs our 28". And are you hooking every run or do you sometimes spin?. That will effect your 60' and ET but not your mph (by much). You SHOULD be able to carry .56's thru the lights but every car is different.

Dond's 4.10's (I assume) would work well for you too but with a 28" tire the .56's should work. I didn't get his 60' times but he has a lot of weight to get moving, 12.75 @ 107 sounds about right too. Look at some other racers time slips and see what THEIR ET's vs MPH are, and their 60's.

Let me guess, are these NHRA tracks?. And is the tree bulb or LED?. I LOVE reading time slips!.

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
60 foot time

The 60 foot time on the 12.767 run was 1.936. The car usually 60's at 2.0. I didn't have the 4.11's at that time. I had the 3.55's in and was using a Kelly Springfield 245-60x15 street tire. I always run through the mufflers and leave the air cleaner on. The weather conditions that day were really great. D.S. was at 0 feet. I wished I had run a couple of weeks later as the D.S. was -1700 feet.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dond409 said:
The 60 foot time on the 12.767 run was 1.936. The car usually 60's at 2.0. I didn't have the 4.11's at that time. I had the 3.55's in and was using a Kelly Springfield 245-60x15 street tire. I always run through the mufflers and leave the air cleaner on. The weather conditions that day were really great. D.S. was at 0 feet. I wished I had run a couple of weeks later as the D.S. was -1700 feet.

I think I need you to tune my engine !!!! :D WOW !! ,,dq

ww19581965

Well Known Member
Test And Tune At Esta This Sat.-July 24!!

Dond409 said:
Hi, Dond409: In Case You Don't Already Know, There Will Be A Test And Tune At
Esta Dragstrip This Sat., From 10 A.M. To 4 P.M.. The Weather Is Supposed To Be
Good:Mostly Sunny,With Comfortable Temps In The Low To Mid 70's. A Good Time
To Test Out Your "DRAGGIN' WAGON"!! I Hope That You Have Fixed Your Vibration By Now. It Sounds Like It's Going To Be A Nice Day To Race!!

I Hope To Be Down To The Track Between 2 P.M. And 2:30 P.M.,Riding My Brown
3-Speed, 2-Wheel Bicycle All The Way There(And,Back Home,Also)!! I Can't Get Up There
Earlier,Because,I'm Busy With Other Stuff On Sat. Morning. I Hope To See You There!! Regards:"ww".

I'll be at the Sunday- Niagara nostalgia drags Sunday, open to all cars made BEFORE 1975. Usually a very big event and the weather is supposed to be great. Your right about ESTA's weather too, cool and low humidity, I'll be racing Friday night.