Exceeded my personal best at Winter National

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Our winter national event is a AACA car show held in Ocala Florida(Not Gainsville racetrack) and is actually a well attended show event. I took the "real 61 SS coupe" there for some Florida warm weather and busted 3 trailer tires going down there and busted two on the return trip Sunday night. Definitely exceeded my all time record for busting trailer tires!
One of the popped tires has done a bunch of damage to the trailer. ripped off most of the aluminum fender, ripped two of the exterior side panels and slightly bent the inner wheel well. Not one of my better weekends even though the 61 SS was very well received as I have never shown it down deep south.
My lithium battery powered torque gun got a work out and even had the appreciated greatful help at night on I-95 from our own Tommy Nolen for two of the tire pitstops.
Next to contact an ATC dealer probably down in Charlotte for trailer repairs.
Robert

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is one heck of a record. Can't beat your story but did get a flat once on a road trip out of state with a large Van full of people on Interstate 35. Though it was funny, jumped out on the shoulder and changed it in a couple minutes. Hopped back in and said, wouldn't be funny if the other tire blew. Just as we got up to speed the other tire blew. It was no longer funny with a Van full of people, 100 degrees outside and 2 hours before dark on a Sunday. We lucked out and some people from Iowa picked us up and spent 2 hours helping us find a tire shop. Good luck with the trailer.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Robert, how old were the tires? I had the same problem with Goodyears. I bad mouthed the Goodyear tire until I found they were over ten years old. Dually is only used for hobby, racing, transporting large sums of money back and forth to machine shops, Summit racing and fuel stops. Tires had 90% tread but I forgot how many years had passed. Traveling over super heated pavement broke the camels back.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tire pressure?

I was waiting for that question! I had 65 psi in all tires just a couple of days before leaving. My trailer tires monitor system did not indicate on the screen any change in pressures or temperature before either one popped. The last one that popped had been manually checked about 10 miles before it popped and can be verified by Tommy
Robert

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I quit buying Goodyear float steer tires for my dump they'd get down to around 60% tread and would break a belt it happened so often it was getting expensive the only thing worse than the Goodyear tires were Firestone floats those Damn things would grenade on you , you definitely don't want a steer blowing when you have around 25 ton on your back.

Mark

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert, how old were the tires? I had the same problem with Goodyears. I bad mouthed the Goodyear tire until I found they were over ten years old. Dually is only used for hobby, racing, transporting large sums of money back and forth to machine shops, Summit racing and fuel stops. Tires had 90% tread but I forgot how many years had passed. Traveling over super heated pavement broke the camels back.

Ray I bought the 4 Goodyear Marathons 4 years ago so they were on the 4th season and I was planning on changing them this season. The “Loadstar” was one of my pile of spares and could have been easily 10 years old but my spares stay in the trailer not in uv sunlight unless being briefly used as a spare
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Finally some better news. I have contacted the big ATC dealer in Charlotte and they stock the side panels and the aluminum fender for my trailer but interestingly they schedule the trailers for the shop and they are estimating 48 hours to replace 4 side panels and the aluminum fender. I think that is good timing. So when time comes I’ll drop trailer with them and visit the NASCAR museum and Rick Hendrick’s museum then pick up trailer and head home
Robert

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Finally some better news. I have contacted the big ATC dealer in Charlotte and they stock the side panels and the aluminum fender for my trailer but interestingly they schedule the trailers for the shop and they are estimating 48 hours to replace 4 side panels and the aluminum fender. I think that is good timing. So when time comes I’ll drop trailer with them and visit the NASCAR museum and Rick Hendrick’s museum then pick up trailer and head home
Robert
Kick the tire's before you leave....