EXHAUST Gasket

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Putting the pass. side manifold on and wondering if there is a flat gasket or a donut that goes between the heat riser and manifold . Should be a donut from the pipe to heat riser but unsure of the other Thanks

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
Just put exhaust manifolds on my 63 409..the gasket goes between the exhaust manifold and the heat riser. One side of the heat riser the opening is flat the other side opening has a curved opening for the exhaust donut. The donut goes on the exhaust pipe. You will notice the exhaust flange has a similar curve for the donut. Slip the exhaust flange over the other end of the exhaust pipe pull it up to the donut bolt everything up. The exhaust studs age longer on the side with the heat riser to allow for the thickness of the heat riser That is how mine went together (hope I did right)

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just put exhaust manifolds on my 63 409..the gasket goes between the exhaust manifold and the heat riser. One side of the heat riser the opening is flat the other side opening has a curved opening for the exhaust donut. The donut goes on the exhaust pipe. You will notice the exhaust flange has a similar curve for the donut. Slip the exhaust flange over the other end of the exhaust pipe pull it up to the donut bolt everything up. The exhaust studs age longer on the side with the heat riser to allow for the thickness of the heat riser That is how mine went together (hope I did right)

If you use the soft doughnut gasket make sure you have a sleeve through the center of it sticking into the manifold and the exhaust pipe.