exhaust manifold gaskets

Discussion in '348 and 409 Engines' started by walkerheaders, Aug 10, 2008.

1. walkerheaders

walkerheaders Active Member Supporting Member 6

i should know this, but.............i dont. :dunno
    i have the original long style manifolds (925-26) on my 425 car. in 2001 when i put the car together, i made some gaskets out of that white header gasket paper. it fails on headers and now i see it fails on manifolds as well. i pulled the right side manifold away and cleaned up both surfaces. because of lack of gaskets and a coolant drip, i buttoned the manifold up tight. have heard this will work.....never tried before. kinda thought they had those silver metal gaskets stock. dont know for sure. if i need them......where will i get them?. if i dont need gaskets, then one side is done.
    thanx for your input.
  2. Rusty Everitt

Rusty Everitt   Supporting Member 1

Bob,
    Stock manifolds are not suppose to have gaskets, part of the reason for french locks. I know what you mean about that white paper stuff and headers, not worth a $hit, been there done that.
  3. Old School

Old School   Supporting Member 1

Felpro makes the gaskets. Get them from Showcars
  4. 62impala409

62impala409   Supporting Member 1

Bob, Rusty has it right about the exhaust gaskets. In my 40+ years of working with GM motors I have NEVER installed the gaskets that came with the overhaul set. Apparently they put them in the gasket sets for the people with warped manifolds. The correct way to take care of that problem is to have the manifold resurfaced. They run them across the surface wheel that they use for cyl. heads. Takes a couple passes. Leo
  5. Bosco

Bosco New Member

I have never used gaskets with stock exhaust manifolds. And the people that have used them most of the time will have a leak. Just make sure the manifolds are straight & clean:)